• May 06, 2024, 12:27:38 AM

Author Topic: Servers  (Read 12414 times)

• Egg
  • Forum Member
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Re: Servers
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 12:36:39 PM »
There's not enough trade_plaza maps, guys.

I've been around way too many tf2 servers, as I'm constantly changing communities when the current ones have gone to shit.

Popular maps that I've seen (that won't be added I bet) are custom degroot, Slender Fortress (which might not even work, because there are a bunch of empty SF servers out there that NO one goes to since Glubbable's is the best and most frequently updated. But if you take VIP, make it pretty much free, and revise the credit system, as well as add some really cool things that MAKE people want to stay, then you have a chance.), Death Run, and Fun Servers (Silly commands, fun maps like the zelda one or old imported maps from the Nitendo 64 (Banjo Kazooie, sanic, etc)). Fun servers also usually consist of custom models, which is really frikkin' awesome. You know, awesome - that thing that doesn't exist here.

One of your combat surf maps could be replaced with skillsurf (with a bunch of beautiful maps, and more importantly, Bhop), and the other one could use a severe map update. Surf_Rainbow sucks ass, and is a bitch to beat. No wonder it's empty a lot. Yes, there are other combat surf maps. I have almost every map known to surf in my brick of a PC.

These are servers that - if not filled to the brim with players - are never actually empty either.

The only reason Saxton Hale, Slender Fortress, and Death Run are so "popular" to you guys is because that's probably all you have ever been on, and more hilariously, you only went to the few player-filled ones, and not the rows and rows of empty ones wishing for the players it never had.

Offline Sixteen

• Veteran SwapShopper
  • Forum Hero
  • I have more to my story than you think.
    • Steam Profile Page
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 04:44:06 PM »
There's not enough trade_plaza maps, guys.

I've been around way too many tf2 servers, as I'm constantly changing communities when the current ones have gone to shit.

Popular maps that I've seen (that won't be added I bet) are custom degroot, Slender Fortress (which might not even work, because there are a bunch of empty SF servers out there that NO one goes to since Glubbable's is the best and most frequently updated. But if you take VIP, make it pretty much free, and revise the credit system, as well as add some really cool things that MAKE people want to stay, then you have a chance.), Death Run, and Fun Servers (Silly commands, fun maps like the zelda one or old imported maps from the Nitendo 64 (Banjo Kazooie, sanic, etc)). Fun servers also usually consist of custom models, which is really frikkin' awesome. You know, awesome - that thing that doesn't exist here.

One of your combat surf maps could be replaced with skillsurf (with a bunch of beautiful maps, and more importantly, Bhop), and the other one could use a severe map update. Surf_Rainbow sucks ass, and is a bitch to beat. No wonder it's empty a lot. Yes, there are other combat surf maps. I have almost every map known to surf in my brick of a PC.

These are servers that - if not filled to the brim with players - are never actually empty either.

The only reason Saxton Hale, Slender Fortress, and Death Run are so "popular" to you guys is because that's probably all you have ever been on, and more hilariously, you only went to the few player-filled ones, and not the rows and rows of empty ones wishing for the players it never had.

Your post makes it sounds like you don't like it here. I hate how disrespectful your last post seems to be. Maybe I took it too literally or maybe you really did mean it. Either way, let me just remind you. You played on these servers. You applied for administration because you enjoyed SS enough to want to take it to the next step. And even after you retired, you are still here. By the sounds of it, you have no reason of being here anymore being that you are retired and find the servers boring, yet you are here which makes me dumbfounded.

So I guess the big question here is: Is SwapShop boring? And the answer is: Yes... wait wait wait... no the answer is Yes to you. I on the other hand, find the servers quite enjoyable. Love the people I have met. All I do is rocket jump loops around Orange Towers 08. Is it boring? Probably to you. But not to me. Love rocket jumping at that gravity. Very relaxing.

But, conveniently enough there are a lot of servers that can be worked on. I would say about 15 servers on each coast. That would be 30 servers technically, but we would put the same servers on each coast respectively, so in the end, there would be about 15 potential servers to be changed. Do you want Death run? Surf? Slender? Saxton? Degroot? Those are only 5 examples. That still leaves 10 other servers potentially.

Now making VIP free? No way. Be a !favorite if VIP is too expensive for you. But VIP is a smart way for Death to make money. Micro-transactions.

If you want to help SwapShop, please do. Just don't act so entitled and egotistical. Otherwise, you wrote your goodbye post.

~16
Yeah, I know. Or at least, soon enough.
~16

Offline snoogans.

• I fiddle with strings on coated plastic and wood
  • Server Administrator
  • Forum Poster
  • Mr. Slump God
    • My awful site
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 05:19:58 PM »
Woah woah woah guys, I'd like this post to veer from any sort of conflict. I am liking the constructive criticism though. Keep this topic up for a bit, I actually wanna see how this turns out.

Also, making a few points about the idle thing. It would be kind of irrational to punish idlers who's intent is never bad. I just never liked the servers being filled with idlers, I'd hop in with 4 people, but 4 people in spectator is not fun.. at all.

I will finish this note with - I want this to steer back to how we can fix our current servers, and by any chance to stuff without costing over a single penny. Ya-nah-I-mean-cuz? Lets taking the idea of making/adding new gamemodes, and lets focus on the main idea of trying to fix, or drop some servers. Mainly pointing the finger at the stock maps. I.E. Hightower, Dustbowl, etc.

Side-side note - Wasting money ≠ Money spending or having to spend any money
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 05:24:00 PM by Odysseus »
I like salt

Offline BloodRain

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Hero
  • "Even lies contain some truth."
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 05:42:15 PM »
Poll added.

Offline BloodRain

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Hero
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 08:07:08 PM »
7:03 PM - Death™: what servers full that needs kicks?
7:04 PM - BloodRain: I see your point.
7:05 PM - Death™: people dont join empty servers
7:05 PM - Death™: the afk's at least bring people in
7:05 PM - Death™: if we get to the point that we have full servers I can start kicking them
7:05 PM - BloodRain: Ok.

-

Death's input regarding idle kicks.

Offline Peter Capaldi's Peter Capaldi

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 08:42:21 PM »
I voted for "Add new servers/maps/gamemodes", "Remove maps/gamemodes that don't have much traction currently", and "Enable the replay function for all TF2SS servers."

I would like to expand a little regarding this topic's direction, some of the information which seems new to me, and some commentary on my first post's suggestions. I would like to... But I probably won't. I have a paper to write. ;) That and I don't think people want to hear me babble on. I'm sure it'd be pretty useless if I did. :P

Here's your daily dose of random Youtube. That's right; I know it's your favorite depressing song; it's Clint Eastwood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7yqFVEvdY0
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 09:01:14 PM by Peter Capaldi's Sunglasses »
~

Offline K a z u m a ™

• Mysterious Okami
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Member
  • Yare Yare daze =w=
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 06:00:06 AM »
I know we've made many polls in the past about what maps should be added, which resulted in the surf servers being added as well as some others. Maybe we should make another poll [public] to see what maps and game modes/mod servers the tf2ss community wants to see implemented. If you just go on the "Internet" tab when you click "Community Servers", just filter the "players" button so that it shows the servers with the highest number of players in them.

It's almost ALWAYS the Saxton Hale, Slender Fortress and Deathrun servers. I think we should add those to the poll if y'all think it's a good idea..

Dude that is an amazing idea. Especially Slender Fortress. I have a large group if friends that seriously enjoy that game mode (including myself, I'm on it all the time). So if we ever thought to add it, I think it would only be for the better of our community!

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 03:06:07 PM »
I know we've made many polls in the past about what maps should be added, which resulted in the surf servers being added as well as some others. Maybe we should make another poll [public] to see what maps and game modes/mod servers the tf2ss community wants to see implemented. If you just go on the "Internet" tab when you click "Community Servers", just filter the "players" button so that it shows the servers with the highest number of players in them.

It's almost ALWAYS the Saxton Hale, Slender Fortress and Deathrun servers. I think we should add those to the poll if y'all think it's a good idea..

Dude that is an amazing idea. Especially Slender Fortress. I have a large group if friends that seriously enjoy that game mode (including myself, I'm on it all the time). So if we ever thought to add it, I think it would only be for the better of our community!
Agreed! It's a great idea! In fact, I recommend it. I wonder if cp_container_v2 would get any new players on the servers...  ::)
~

Offline mental

• °
  • Forum Hero
  • Whoever threw that paper, your moms a hoe.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2016, 05:35:56 AM »
The thing is, even if we add Slender and Saxton servers, new players will have to download additional content, which will probably drive them away from the server. Nothing less, I agree with Saxton and Slender servers.

Offline snoogans.

• I fiddle with strings on coated plastic and wood
  • Server Administrator
  • Forum Poster
  • Mr. Slump God
    • My awful site
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2016, 11:53:33 AM »
I like the snowballing of these ideas. I think adding a server would suffice a good amount members on SS, and maybe attract new players. However, I'd like to think of things we should do before that:
Host events, bring a bit of new members in? - Have some fun events, I used to do a thing of Hide n Seek on one of the largest maps SS had, and it brought about 20 people each time.
--------------------------------------
All I can think of, bringing back an idea. SS has 2 admins who host events, and are pretty good at what they do. Also an owner who will do an event once a month or so. I also prepared a list of events that require little to no commands (Mostly all require permission from a head admin or owner):
Hide n Seek - Maybe general rules, a vote to see who wants to play, and some teleporting if needed
CPs on many of the maps that have CPs and aren't active - Turn on CPs
Tag - Toxic a player, see how many people they can kill in the 25-30 seconds they have toxic. (Simple forced rtd, vote, and make sure player is able to chase scouts or is willing to)
Challenges, H.O.R.S.E., etc. - Mini challenges like seeing who can hold the longest rocket jump chain, or something to challenge other players. Duels, skill challenges, spycrabbing, etc.
------------------------------------------------
Again, all I can think of for right now, but list can still grow through others' ideas!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 03:55:30 PM by Oral Sodomy w/ food »
I like salt

Offline BloodRain

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Hero
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2016, 02:10:13 PM »
Poll updated.

Old Poll attached below.

Offline mental

• °
  • Forum Hero
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2016, 03:44:48 PM »
I like the snowballing of these ideas. I think adding a server would suffice a good amount members on SS, and maybe attract new players. However, I'd like to think of things we should do before that:
Host events, bring a bit of new members in? - Have some fun events, I used to do a thing of Hide n Seek on one of the largest maps SS had, and it brought about 20 people each time.
--------------------------------------
All I can think of, bringing back an idea. SS has 2 admins who host events, and are pretty good at what they do. Also an owner who will do an event once a month or so. I also prepared a list of events that require little to no commands:
Hide n Seek - Maybe general rule, a vote to see who wants to play, and some teleporting if needed (ask for permission however)
CPs on many of the maps that have CPs and aren't active - Turn on CPs (ask for permission)
Tag - Toxic a player, see how many people they can kill in the 25-30 seconds they have toxic. (Simple forced rtd, vote, and make sure player is able to chase scouts or is willing to)
Challenges, H.O.R.S.E., etc. - Mini challenges like seeing who can hold the longest rocket jump chain, or something to challenge other players. Duels, skill challenges, spycrabbing, etc.
------------------------------------------------
Again, all I can think of for right now, but list can still grow through others' ideas!
Perfect!

Offline K a z u m a ™

• Mysterious Okami
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Member
  • Yare Yare daze =w=
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2016, 04:09:29 PM »
The thing is, even if we add Slender and Saxton servers, new players will have to download additional content, which will probably drive them away from the server. Nothing less, I agree with Saxton and Slender servers.

Personally I don't see why extra downloads would drive players away. It is very popular and people who are curious or really want to play usually sit through the downloads.

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2016, 05:48:45 PM »
I voted for, "Other or more-specific maps (Comment below)." I hope to see cp_container_v2. ;)
~

Offline mental

• °
  • Forum Hero
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2016, 03:50:45 AM »

Personally I don't see why extra downloads would drive players away. It is very popular and people who are curious or really want to play usually sit through the downloads.
I know. I should have said *Sometimes* lol.