• May 03, 2024, 08:05:06 PM

Author Topic: The End.  (Read 4493 times)

Offline Sixteen

• Veteran SwapShopper
  • Forum Hero
  • I have more to my story than you think.
    • Steam Profile Page
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
The End.
« on: November 08, 2015, 02:40:42 PM »
Hello everyone, my name is Sean, but most call me Sixteen. I was an administrator at SwapShop for 2-ish years. Maybe longer, maybe shorter, who cares. Last month I left for a great reason, but we will get into that later. This post is going to be long, unedited, and choppy. I have no script intended and I am not going to be going back through this revising so what I write is what you get; sorry that’s just how it is.

So my mind is spinning with ideas right now, so the question is: Where do we begin?

Let’s keep it simple. I joined SwapShop in March-May (sometime around then) of 2013. At this time, I was a scrub but when I applied, I was accepted. Take a look at my first application:

1. Which do you wish to apply for? (Game Server Admin, Forum Admin, Steam Group Admin, Coder, Event Planner)
I wish to apply for Adminship, specifically on the Orange Tower server.

2. Do you have a microphone?
I do. I use it whenever I can, and use it often when others use their mics as well.

3. Age

4. What Time Zone do you live in?
Eastern Standard Time: EST

5. Previous supervisory, administration or management experience - in or out of game.
I understand the admin life, I have lived it a lot before. I am nice and accepting until it is required that I use force.

6. What are your goals in this community or why do you want to hold this positions?
Well, as of late, I have found a few problems on the Orange Towers server. I did notify Hades and he did fix them, but still it would be better to have an admin on the server. As of what I've seen being on the server, there aren't admins on unless you make a /report. Another reason I would like to take part in becoming admin is that a huge percentage of the Orange Towers server loves to do melee only. Of course though, there are the one or two who want to shoot and are too stubborn to leave and go to another server for the time being. Because of this, I would like to have the admin ability to make melee only rounds that last from 30 mins to an hour or so.

7. How much time do you plan on spending on the Servers / Forums?
As of the server, I spend from 0-3 hours on the Orange Towers server each day. As of the Forums, I typically do all of my work at the computer so reading any posts that occur would be easily accessible.

8. How long have you been playing on of our group of servers?
Looking at the requirements, I have been on for at least a month. I'm not good with judging how long something has been or will be, I never have been, but I do know for sure I have been on this server for quite some time.

9. List a reputation thread here (if you have one, may be simple as your steamrep url)
http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198044268933

10. Do you use alternative accounts: list any you may have (optional).
I do not. Sixteen is my main, and will remain my main.

11. Describe a time during which you lost control.
There was a time (as of minecraft) where there was someone who I hated, and still hate to this day, and so me and my friends destroyed his server, banned him from it, and stole his accounts because we had an inside man. Do not worry though, this was a very long time ago, back when I was a raging child and it hasn't and will never happen again. I still look back on that day and shake my head in disgust of how terrible I was.

12. Assess attributes from 1 to 10 (No decimals) based on how you see yourself:
a:Logical: 10
b:Patience: 8
c:Reactive: 7
d:Creativity: 8
e:Politeness: 10
f:Reasoning: 9
g:Objectivity: 8
h:Perception: 7
i:Compassion: 10
j:Troubleshooting: 6

13. After you become an admin, how would you react to these situations:
a:How would you handle a person who was making racist comments?
Whenever you are an admin, you have to follow order. I believe in a 3, 2, 1 system. You start out with 3 warnings to stop, if he/she does not stop, you kick them at most 2 times. If they keep returning, you do the final most thing which would be to ban. Personally, I would ban them for 24 hours. If at a later time you seem them again and recognize them and they continue to be racist, you extend the banning time. If you do not recognize them, you just restart the process.

b:What do you think is an appropriate response if a group of players are offended by remarks that you yourself do not find offensive?
if at least 33% of the server believes that someones remarks are offensive and I do not, I will believe that that 33% is correct and give the offender that 3, 2, 1 system.

c:When is it okay to use administrative powers?
Mic spam, racism, bullying, hacking, glitching, or if ever there are the 33% who think it be right for me to use my powers.

d:How would you deal with players who micpspam?
I would follow up that player with the 3, 2, 1 system. 3 warnings, 2 kicks, 1 ban.

e:Another admin is exploiting their powers in game while playing, what do you do about it?
I would immediately /report to notify any other admins that are active followed by making a post on the forums to get word out. It would also be beneficial to take screenshots to have some proof.

f:What would you do when answering a report that Bundygog is speed hacking on one of our servers?
If you only see a post about it, you can't automatically ban them. You would need to get other eye witnesses. If the player had video proof of it, that would be very beneficial, but if not, you would either have ti experience it yourself or get a group of people to claim they have witnessed it.

g:A regular user threatens another player that they will be banned if they do not comply with rules which do not exist.  What do you do?
I approach the regular player with the 3, 2, 1 system and explain to them that they know how this server works, so they should not try to bend the rules for their own benefits.

h:A pair of enemy players dominate you, ignoring everyone else and change teams if you join the team they are on, killing just you over and over again.  What do you do about it.
Shucks man. That sucks for me because they aren't breaking any rules. It would be annoying but I would have to live with it. That is the game anyways. Maybe I would get lucky with RTD and get homing rockets.

i:How do you deal with a player who comments publicly that you are a asshole, comments how the server sucks ass and continues to insult anyone who kills them with profanity & screaming on the mic.
If they are annoying those on the server, I would use the 3, 2, 1 system, but if they are saying how much the server sucks, I would flat out ban them. If they don't like the server, that gives me more reason to make them leave.

j:A player on the server says that they can offer free godmode for those who offer a hat in a trade to them.  What do you do?
I would first tell the server that he/she is lying and follow up the player with the 3, 2, 1 system.

k:A player complains about another player slaying them after they buy the Headless horseman in the shop.  What do you tell them?
Personally, I would explain how sorry I am but there is nothing I can do. If they buy something and get killed, it is a shame but they get what they get.

If I get this position, I will be so grateful and I'm sure all the others I recognize on this server will too. I have been building many relationships  up with the regulars and I think I am officially a regular as well. If I end up not getting this position, it will be a shame, but I will continue to play on this server because the community is great and the server regardless is a lot of fun. Thank you for reading this, ~Sixteen.

What a beauty. Would I be accepted today if that application way the one I used and had no history with SwapShop? No way. The 3, 2, 1 system sucks. Sure most of the answers are “correct” but times have changed and so has evaluation of applications. When I made this application, there were maybe 12 admins. The big ones I remember were Death, Pixels, Hades, and Kokaburr. They explained why my application was flawed and if it were today, I would be denied. Back then though, they tried to help me understand why what I thought would work, wouldn’t. And after a few revisions and checks, I had an application that they thought was acceptable. They didn’t look for reason to say no, they looked for reason to say yes. Had they not, I likely wouldn’t have ever been here.

So I had been admin for a couple of months and throughout this whole time, I thought Pixels was the owner and not Death. So at one point I got angry at how “over powered” the SMG was on Orange Towers because it was a crits server, so I kicked and player that used it. (Take note, this is a very good example of actual Admin Abuse.) There was one kid who targeted me over and over with the SMG just to piss me off and he succeeded. No denying that. He told Death and Death came onto the server to try and figure things out. I “explained” and he told me why everything I was saying was idiotic (which it was) and out of the continued rage I threatened to ban Death. Remember, at this time, I thought Pixels was the owner, not Death. So of course, I was instantly demoted. I had no intention of actually banning Death, it was just a reaction to say. 6 months go by. I don’t leave, I actually main the Orange Tower server and get a lot better with rocket placement. SMG snipers are no longer problems for me, I am the problem for them. I reapply and am accepted because people like me. This is the point where I build my brand and reputation to become the Admin I was a month ago. To this day, every application I have made has been accepted. I was tempted to make an application for head admin and I knew I could get accepted. I told knife about it and he said I would be denied, but I still knew how I could be accepted by way of corruption. But then I got lazy.

We all did. We all lived under the idea. “well there are 30-40 admins but there is one report, someone else will take it.” And so many times did this not work. Killing friendlies, spawn camping, being mean, all dumb reports and as a result of the 20 admins online, no one takes it. Now, if someone were hacking, we would have at least 4 admins ready to pounce onto it. Events? See corruption. We all had the opportunity to make events but that takes effort so no thank you. And I’m not judging you guys, I’m speaking from my own perspective. I know I never did events because I was lazy. We all had a lot of ideas and posted them on the forums, but many of them, if not all of them were either denied or just never took place because it was forgotten about or people were too lazy. It’s a common theme in SwapShop. When a new admin comes into power, they are always very excited and energetic and want to get everything done. But then over time, they fade away.

Uhg. I’m sorry, I took a break and don’t know where to go now. Let’s go for corruption. There is a good amount within SwapShop. I love corruption. Like, it really sucks but it just tastes so sweet as well. I had figured out ways to get out of everything even if I hadn’t done it yet. A common one was “abuse”. So, admins shouldn’t abuse their powers. We all know that. Basic morals. But, at times we get bored and do things we shouldn’t do like smite everyone or no clip or even tele (Such a dumb problem but whatever, it happened). If you were doing stuff that might look questionable to other admins, there was an easy way around it. The best way to get around it would be to tell Knife you were doing an event. Sure, it’s not a real event but it you were making the server “more enjoyable”. And that was all he asked. Just to tell him you were doing an event. Then if the admins look at your logs, you will be able to have Knife vouch for you and claim that you were doing an “event” and it will all work out. The other way out of “abuse” would be to say that you are testing a command. Honestly, you probably wouldn’t be able to get away with it but based on the rules exactly, it is very technically perfectly legal. In the admin rules it says you can’t do this, can’t do that blah blah blah, but near the end it says you can use commands as long as you are testing them. So lets say you smite the server 10 times in a row, you can say that you were just testing them command. Will people believe you, probably not, but does that mean you were lying? Depends.

What other corruption is there? I knew that given how long I was administrator for and for how active I was, the likelihood demoted for “abuse” was very minimal and I got to the point where I could say anything I wanted with minimal punishment, if that. I also ignored the rules when it came to the punishing of other admins. If I liked you, which I did for most of you, I did whatever I could to make sure you didn’t get into trouble/punished. I’m not gonna name a name but you know who you are. Testing hacks on the server while being an administrator is sketchy. Had it been Knife or Hades who caught you, you would’ve been long gone. But don’t worry, I gotchyu. But being that this post is made, don’t give up this secret. You are in a good spot, I’m sure, no point in ruining that.

Idk, let’s talk about admins now. Joker… that was soooooo goood. Him sending me his resignation to show the rest of you was fantastic. Each time I think about it, it just puts a huge smile to my face. Hades, the way you write is fantastic, but the what you write is disgusting. Always looking to say no and get rid of admins is just a shame. You were always making posts about other admins showcasing their logs and “abuse”.Oh Mr. applicant, is your application perfect in every way but you used SAM once and have technically broken a Steam Term and Service? You don’t deserve to be a admin here, we only accept the purest of pure. (lol). I could keep going but I’m sure we all know that I don’t like you. Sins, oh boy you were the Hades before Hades.We always disagreed and caused problems.Was I the reason you left? I am 99% sure that I was. Am I okay with it? Yes. When you were gone, life was definitely easier. I always said that I liked you but I can’t say for sure that that was the truth. You came back but we never butt heads during that time so whatever. Bygones are bygones I guess. Knife, I did like you, but when Hades got back involved you definitely changed. Now you are like a super corporation man like him. Always deciding things based on the rules. It is strange how you are the admin you are being that all you do it make a post about a new applicant and play Dota 2. Magic Genie, there is no way you are going to be reading this, but if you are, you were just flat out a bad admin. I am surprised you lasted as long as you did.

Gui, I love you man. Great guy. Honestly for a long time I thought you were a girl because your name was a girl name or something. Congrats, early on, you trolled me. :P You always had something nice to say or always had a blame to put on me, but I thought it was funny. You definitely kept me at SwapShop longer than I would have been there without you. Thank you for being there.

Scorched, shit dude you are a funny guy. The lack of fucks you give is fantastic and I love it. Thank you for making the job less of a job and more of a fun time.

Lunarium, I have a lot of respect for you. You are the admin I wish I was. You are gonna do great things for the server, I’m sure.

If I didn’t mention your name, don’t worry that means I like you. And don’t think that you aren’t important to me, it’s just these guys are 3 that I was very close with.

Death. I know know what to say. I very much do respect you but I don’t know what to say. there is some good, there is some bad, but name shouldn’t be harmed in this post.

What else should I talk about. I know once I post this, I am going to be ashamed that I forgot something. Whatever, let’s get to the point that most of you will want to read about.

Why did I leave? The reason I didn’t tell anyone was because there was nothing to tell. The absolute reason why I left was because I wanted to. I love drama. Hades, you thinking that I was planning the demise of the server was perfect. I fully expected you to think that, and that is exactly what happened.Seeing everyone paranoid was a lot of fun. (I know, I’m a terrible person.) And I can’t come back now. That would be foolish. Even excluding this post, I wouldn’t be able to come back being that I already made a spree of saying I was done and wanted to be demoted. But of course, I do not want to come back. Life has been good not having to stress over SwapShop. And now after leaving do I realize that SwapShop doesn’t matter at all. It was fun, it shouldn’t impact my life like it did. Seriously, I used to stress over SwapShop a lot and think about it all day. But none of it actually matter. If the server tanks or someone destroys it, whatever. I will feel bad for the person who goes by the username of Death, but that will be about it. I am disconnected. I am no longer addicted. And it feels great.

So I would ask that you Mr. Admin with a red or green or orange name not move this into a secret folder because I think all should be allowed to see it, but you guys do what you want I guess. I won’t be responding, I won’t know. I hope this is a reality check for you guys like it was for me. ~16
Yeah, I know. Or at least, soon enough.
~16

Offline Peter Capaldi's Peter Capaldi

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Re: The End.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 01:28:20 PM »
Guess what?

I love you. :P
~

Offline Chrid

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Poster
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 07:39:42 AM »

So I would ask that you Mr. Admin with a red or green or orange name not move this into a secret folder because I think all should be allowed to see it, but you guys do what you want I guess. I won’t be responding, I won’t know. I hope this is a reality check for you guys like it was for me. ~16[/font][/size]

- Once upon a time, there was once a book that depicted the harsh and unpleasant living and working conditions for workers during the Industrial Revoulution. I'm sure we've all heard of the Jungle before
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle.

- Now using terms from the 1920s, does this make Sixteen a Muckracker? Yes. Should he be respected any less? Depends considering he will not see this post and thus will not be able to form his own opinion on it...Showing that you will not be punished for what you think. Which is the way things should be. Have things been dwindling from this standpoint? Ever so slightly...Yes.

- Now, I know once the word gets out about this post there is going to be a lot of suspicion in the admin community. Everyone is going to go against the system, dissipate order, and may lead to the collapse of the SwapShop.

- While I will agree that some of the staff speak too formally (ayy lmao). It isn't necessarily a bad thing considering it maintains order.

- I am talking REAL right now. These are the facts: Sixteen is gone. The forums are dead. The Swapshop group will probably reach 8000 people in 2020 and there is corruption.

- So with that being said its kinda fair to say that no player really is going to see this but the select few who might browse the forums since they were banned and have nothing else to do. (and the regulars on the forums <3).

- The truth is players just want to play on a god damn all crit (or trade) server and be stupid(metaphorically, not calling our players dumb).When they see someone breaking the rules they report it. We get it. We go. and there is a 50% chance the rule breaker will be punished and the admin is more likely to do things much worse.

-The reason we admins think about the servers all the time is because we feel as if, if we are not online for a week, We would be permanently demoted. Yes. It's painful. Some "commit suicide to ease the pain" by demoting themselves as Sixteen did here.

- This post is getting too long so I should stop...

- With this being said on top of Sixteen's absence and post from the community, Us admins should really think about coming up with a new system. This community is too uptight to be respected anymore. We should stop with the formal BS and relax for once.

A legend.
Will always be a legend.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:43:46 AM by Chrid »

Offline Death™

• King Of Death
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Master
  • The Unholy King Of Death
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 03:03:09 PM »
If staff have concerns, please just post it in the staff discussions instead of an off-topic forum. I will address the issues the best I can...