• May 13, 2024, 02:52:48 AM

Author Topic: What about a Minecraft Server?  (Read 11224 times)

Offline Put a Flower in Your Pocket

• Yours, Dreamily.
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Visitor
  • Man's best friend will bite you just for fun.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Re: What about a Minecraft Server?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 01:40:14 PM »
Players that aren't necessarily part of the current tf2 staff (although current staff members could apply as well).

That's as much as I can expend it.
Ya I gotchu.  I feel like even if we did get a new staff, the current tf2 staff would need something other just normal rank, maybe a donator rank or something

Offline Put a Flower in Your Pocket

• Yours, Dreamily.
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Visitor
  • Man's best friend will bite you just for fun.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 01:41:07 PM »
Also, unrelated, but I wonder if there is a way to make reports from the minecraft server go directly in to report bot. 

Offline Hamtaro

• Server's Hamster
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Master
  • Hamha, how are you?
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 02:59:23 PM »
Also, unrelated, but I wonder if there is a way to make reports from the minecraft server go directly in to report bot.

Different games, different codes. perhaps a different bot if so.
I don't bite, so feel free to message me if anything.
Hablo español con gran fluidez, asi que deje un mensaje si tienes dudas.

Offline BloodRain

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Hero
  • "Even lies contain some truth."
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 10:49:15 AM »

Considering that MC is not a valve game (or any game on Steam for that matter,) I don't think that it would be easy or possible to get a Steam bot linked to a server in Minecraft.

Again, I wouldn't expect much from it.

Offline Mixxylicious

• THAT person again
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Poster
  • oh why hello there ;3
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 09:06:42 PM »
in all honesty, i dont think reports are super necessary in minecraft unless its about the chat, we can get plugins that just prevents griefing
Pstt... don't forget to HAVE FUN <3

Offline s⁧l

• Woah.
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Visitor
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 11:55:29 PM »
As someone who has played Minecraft since 2011, coded various modifications for Minecraft, been an administrator for various servers, and been a griefer, I'll give my two cents on a few things.

Though I would like to say, everything I'm about to say is completely subjective to my experience with Minecraft, every server is different and everyone has their own ways of moderation, as well as the fact that I'm not really proof-reading this and you may not understand everything I'm talking about, so please keep that in mind.

When it comes to server moderation it is can be perfectly fine, to extremely finicky. This is because of 2 big reasons.
1 - On servers with more than 10-20 players, It is impossible to moderate the entire server player-base adequately at all times.
2 - The amount of cheaters/griefers playing the game.

For number one, when it comes to have having a large player-base, it is very difficult to keep track of every player's actions at once, so you can log specific actions and send it to the administrators so it is easier to track people doing instead of attempting to moderate the entire server through the chat and watching over players, when they have time, while invisible. It is also extremely helpful to have a ratio of a good ratio of admins/moderators to players, as this assists in how much moderation can be done and and how effective the moderation actually is. For example: if you have 1 admin and 20 players, and 4 or 5 players seem suspicious that admin will likely be watching over them a bit more than the rest of the other players leaving chances for the other players to break rules due to the admin's occupied status.

For number two, when it comes to griefers, you can log most grief with anti-grief plugins as well as track the history of modified blocks in any location on the map, this should combat most griefers in the traditional sense, the only downside is that most anti-grief plugins don't have live alert messages sent out to administrators and griefers can cover up a griefed structure to look like a naturally spawned part of the map but of course you can always just have a plugin to "own" specific parts of the map so only players with proper permissions can mess with it; Now, when it comes to cheaters it is either 100% obvious or extremely difficult to tell, certain client-sided modifications such as Fullbright, ESP, Xray, and Tracers are literally impossible to detect, although it is possible to tell if they are in use, primarily Xray as you can have a plugin send a message whenever someone mines a rare ore, other modifications such as Killaura (a combination of an aimbot as well as a specified attack speed) are easier to detect although you can still edit attributes on most modifications to the point of being nigh-undetectable, however, as someone who has coded cheats, including Killaura, before there are some signs to tell if one is active. To combat cheaters you can of course install anti-cheat plugins and moderate players you've received reports of, it is important to note that most hacked clients have killswitches intended to completely disable all game-changing modifications, and aside from that you can do a few other things but player moderation and anti-cheat are the best things you can do.

Now, regarding the actual thread and, you know, asking about starting up a Minecraft server, I'm all for it, it would give me a lot more interesting stuff to do in my free time as well as open up some new opportunities for people to join our community.

Of course, I'll go back to being dead again. À bientôt!

Offline Hamtaro

• Server's Hamster
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Master
  • Hamha, how are you?
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 08:27:27 AM »
There could always be a homemad3e anti-cheat mechanism. Something like a player having an item that is not supposed to have when playing a specific gamemode.
I don't bite, so feel free to message me if anything.
Hablo español con gran fluidez, asi que deje un mensaje si tienes dudas.

Offline Ἀΐδης

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Master
  • What is it you truly seek to obtain?
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 08:29:28 AM »
Perhaps another thread should be created to discuss which plugins should be added, why, and to list which ones will be added should the server/s be created.

Hades

Offline mental

• °
  • Forum Hero
  • Whoever threw that paper, your moms a hoe.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2016, 12:07:19 AM »
Yes I would love a mine-craft server. It would be fun to TF2SS go to another game that doesn't involve Steam.

Offline Sixteen

• Veteran SwapShopper
  • Forum Hero
  • I have more to my story than you think.
    • Steam Profile Page
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2016, 10:02:50 AM »
RIP CS:GO Servers.
~16
Yeah, I know. Or at least, soon enough.
~16

Offline FAP GOD

• °
  • Forum Poster
  • Don't be an entrepreneur of someone else's dreams
    • Google Backwards
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2016, 03:51:24 PM »
I disagree about this due to the nature of how many little kids play on tf2, i believe if a game is mature that is should stay that way and not support it for a non-mature audience
unless your living the way you want to, their is no reason to live~Hunter Williams 2017

Offline mental

• °
  • Forum Hero
  • Whoever threw that paper, your moms a hoe.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2016, 03:48:56 AM »
I disagree about this due to the nature of how many little kids play on tf2, i believe if a game is mature that is should stay that way and not support it for a non-mature audience
Tf2ss is for everyone no matter the age. (Unless applying for admin).

Offline FAP GOD

• °
  • Forum Poster
  • Don't be an entrepreneur of someone else's dreams
    • Google Backwards
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2016, 10:24:52 AM »
well that's really that's stopping me from agreeing...so i guess it's alright but i do believe it should be a larger sized map as like biscuit said (sorry to lazy to quote) "as most of our players are 14< year olds" i do believe that the map should be big to supply to that demand of said audience

EDIT: OH I thought we were talking about a tf2 minecraft themed map.....well yeah im all for it in that case....but being someone who has tried to start a server let me say it is a difficult task, good luck
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 06:43:22 PM by NerdyTurd( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) »
unless your living the way you want to, their is no reason to live~Hunter Williams 2017