• May 09, 2024, 05:03:48 PM

Author Topic: Grampa Gmod - Game Server Admin Application  (Read 4219 times)

Offline Grampa Gmod

• Forum Visitor
  • I like high quality streams
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Grampa Gmod - Game Server Admin Application
« on: July 17, 2016, 06:52:11 PM »
1. Which position do you wish to apply for?
Game Server Admin

2. Do you have a microphone that you are willing to use?
Yes

3. Age:

4. What Time Zone do you live in?
Central Time Zone UTC-06:00

5. List and describe any previous supervisory, administrative or management experience,­ in or out of the game:
I was a raid scheduler in a World of Warcraft guild about 2 years ago. In 2011 I was an admin for a minecraft server that had about 60 players a day (30 of them were regulars, also the server is now dead because the owner abandoned it in 2013).

6. What are your goals in this community - or, why do you want to hold this position?
My goals in this community is to help people have fun when playing on the servers as they trade and enforce the rules when need be. I would like to hold this position so I can do more interesting things with the people in the community. An example would be holding events during the weekends like heavy boxing and other activities that are as equally or more fun.

7. How much time will you be able to spend:
A. On the servers?
I play TF2 for the most part when I am ever on steam. The servers are enjoyable to be on, so I spend plenty of time on them.

B. On the forums?
Maybe twice every week or so.

8. How long have you been playing on our group of servers?
The servers take up a lot of my time on TF2, because I am a trader and a person who likes to screw around. I have played on these servers for about 2 years.

9. List a reputation thread here (your SteamRep URL and/or other reputation threads):
https://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198103216607

10. If you have alternate accounts, list any alternative accounts that you own:

11. Describe a time when you lost control of your emotions and how you were able to cope with the situation:
I get mad at a video game every now and then. In all honesty, I hate dying in a video game. So when someone or something is kicking my ass hard and kills me about 20 times, I'll get pretty frustrated. How I overcome this is simply yelling into my hand or into my pillow.

12. What do you consider in your personality to be strengths? What do you consider in your personality to be weaknesses?
My opinion in strength is things like being smart or knowing what to do when something has gone wrong. Being able to use teamwork or cooperate is a huge feat of strength. Weaknesses would basically be the opposite of the strengths, like shutting everyone out and being a lone wolf. Not knowing what to do when something goes wrong and self centered.

13. Assess these attributes from 1 to 10 based on how you see yourself:
  • Logical: 10
  • Patient: 4
  • Reactive: 7
  • Creative: 10
  • Polite: 7
  • Reasonable: 8
  • Objective: 8
  • Perceptive: 6
  • Compassionate: 8
  • Troubleshooter: 10

14. After you become an admin, how would you react to these situations below:
A: How would you deal with a person who was making racist comments?
Usually ignoring them works for me. Getting into them and reacting usually makes me look like I'm a gullible person and can easily be manipulated. Sometimes it's worth reacting because of what they have said specifically.

B: A group of players are offended by remarks that another player made, but you yourself do not find them to be offensive. How would you respond?
Let's take the situation that's on A. If it was a guy saying racist stuff and most of the server didn't like or even was making them really sad, I would tell that guy to stop and ask him why he's even saying the racist things. Possibly it could just be a troll and just doing it to make people mad, so the only way of dealing with someone like a troll is either kicking them, vote kicking them, or chat muting them.

C: How would you deal with players who micspam?
I'd ask them to stop mic spamming and threaten with a mute if I had admin commands/powers. If I am just a normal player, I would actually listen to the mic spam to judge how good it sounds. If it sounded cool or good enough, I'd actually listen to it. Other than that, there is a mute button in the menu.

D: Another TF2SS admin is exploiting their powers in game; what will you do about it?
First off I would be asking him/her why are they doing it. If they don't respond or continue to do it, even if they responded, I would contact any higher-up that is online.

E: What would you do when answering a report that [username] is speed hacking on one of our servers?
Go to that server that the said report was sent from and investigate. There is many reasons the suspect could be falsely accused for speed hacking or even truthfully be accused. RTD gives you a random outcome of what kind of ability you can get. First I would look at the guy if he used RTD lately and got the speed boost from that. If he had no RTD, I'd look to see if he used the !shop command and bought a speed boost. If all fails and I can't figure out if he is or is not speed hacking, I would call in another TF2SS admin or a higher-up about the situation. But if the suspect in question was confirmed using something like RTD or !shop, the report would be closed and everybody would move on. If I figured out the suspect was speed hacking, I would take action and give out the right punishment.

F: A regular user threatens to ban another player if they do not comply with rules that do not exist. What will you do about it?
I'd step in and tell the person who is telling the other person false rules that those rules ARE false and he will be punished if he does it again.

G: A group of enemy players dominate you, ignoring everyone else and changing teams if you join the team they are on, killing only you over and over again. What will you do about it?
Usually I would disconnect and move on. If I was an admin and had commands, I'd just use god mode on myself and problem solved.

H: How do you deal with a player who comments publicly that: you are an asshole, the server sucks ass, and continues to insult anyone who kills them with profanity & by screaming on the mic?
I'd issue them a temporary gag/mute. If it was just a comment that was about me, simply just ignore it.

I: A regular player on our server says that they will offer free godmode for anyone who trades a hat to them. What will you do about it?
I would tell that player that this is not allowed and threaten with a temporary ban. If he continues to do it I'd ban them for 24 hours.

J: A player who bought the Headless Horsemann perk from the shop complains after another player slays him/her. What do you tell the slayed Headless Horsemann player?
Tell them to suck it up and that this is TF2, people will kill you, especially if it's allowed.

After filling out this application, what are your feelings toward becoming a Server Admin on our servers?
I am very excited to join the staff and become a better, more reasonable player as I experience being an admin on a community that I have played on for a long time.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 02:56:08 PM by Grampa Gmod »
I remember it so you don't have to.

Offline BloodRain

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Hero
  • "Even lies contain some truth."
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Re: Grampa Gmod - Game Server Admin Application
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 10:04:30 PM »

Can you explain why you rated yourself a "4" in patience?

Usually ignoring them works for me. Getting into them and reacting usually makes me look like I'm a gullible person and can easily be manipulated. Sometimes it's worth reacting because of what they have said specifically.

That doesn't help the fact that the player is making racist comments on the server. He would continue to do it if you weren't going to take action against it.

B: A group of players are offended by remarks that another player made, but you yourself do not find them to be offensive. How would you respond?
Let's take the situation that's on A. If it was a guy saying racist stuff and most of the server didn't like or even was making them really sad, I would tell that guy to stop and ask him why he's even saying the racist things. Possibly it could just be a troll and just doing it to make people mad, so the only way of dealing with someone like a troll is either kicking them, vote kicking them, or chat muting them.

Can you be a little more clear with your response here?

I'd ask them to stop mic spamming and threaten with a mute if I had admin commands/powers. If I am just a normal player, I would actually listen to the mic spam to judge how good it sounds. If it sounded cool or good enough, I'd actually listen to it. Other than that, there is a mute button in the menu.

The point of these questions is for us to judge your potential capabilities as a Staff member on our servers. We are suggesting that you would be an Admin in this situation. Try to seem more confident with your responses, and it will reflect your personality.

E: What would you do when answering a report that [username] is speed hacking on one of our servers?
Go to that server that the said report was sent from and investigate. There is many reasons the suspect could be falsely accused for speed hacking or even truthfully be accused. RTD gives you a random outcome of what kind of ability you can get. First I would look at the guy if he used RTD lately and got the speed boost from that. If he had no RTD, I'd look to see if he used the !shop command and bought a speed boost. If all fails and I can't figure out if he is or is not speed hacking, I would call in another TF2SS admin or a higher-up about the situation. But if the suspect in question was confirmed using something like RTD or !shop, the report would be closed and everybody would move on. If I figured out the suspect was speed hacking, I would take action and give out the right punishment.

Again, you are an Admin at this point. You are given the capabilities of banning people who are giving themselves an unjust advantage by hacking. You don't need to call in higher authority if it's a situation that you can deal with.

G: A group of enemy players dominate you, ignoring everyone else and changing teams if you join the team they are on, killing only you over and over again. What will you do about it?
Usually I would disconnect and move on. If I was an admin and had commands, I'd just use god mode on myself and problem solved.

Now THIS, you cannot do. You may never use administrative commands on yourself to give yourself a higher advantage. If you were in or hosting an event on the servers, it would make a little more sense. Try to use the least amount of commands as possible. Remember, all Staff commands do get logged.

I: A regular player on our server says that they will offer free godmode for anyone who trades a hat to them. What will you do about it?
I would tell that player that this is not allowed and threaten with a temporary ban. If he continues to do it I'd ban them for 24 hours.

I would suggest that instead of banning the player, that you mute and gag them. Since they are trying to scam people over text/voice communication, you can just silence them.

Offline Grampa Gmod

• Forum Visitor
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 10:42:19 PM »

Can you explain why you rated yourself a "4" in patience?

That doesn't help the fact that the player is making racist comments on the server. He would continue to do it if you weren't going to take action against it.

Can you be a little more clear with your response here?

The point of these questions is for us to judge your potential capabilities as a Staff member on our servers. We are suggesting that you would be an Admin in this situation. Try to seem more confident with your responses, and it will reflect your personality.

Again, you are an Admin at this point. You are given the capabilities of banning people who are giving themselves an unjust advantage by hacking. You don't need to call in higher authority if it's a situation that you can deal with.

Now THIS, you cannot do. You may never use administrative commands on yourself to give yourself a higher advantage. If you were in or hosting an event on the servers, it would make a little more sense. Try to use the least amount of commands as possible. Remember, all Staff commands do get logged.

I would suggest that instead of banning the player, that you mute and gag them. Since they are trying to scam people over text/voice communication, you can just silence them.

1. I don't like waiting for new updates or a new item to come out. I suck at saving money and always spend it irl and on steam.

2. I was taking in account if I wasn't an admin in this situation. If it's a troll, they won't care what you say, they WILL keep doing what they are doing. Being an admin, yes, would certainly make a difference. I could simply mute/gag them. I'm sorry if the answer you were seeking was just supposed to be if I was an admin.

3. A guy is being racist to a group of players that find the stuff that he is saying, is racist, and is offensive. If I was going to engage this person, even though what he says doesn't affect me, I would ask him why is he saying these things and try to get him to stop by talking to him. And for the last part of the question, as I said before, he could be a troll and not be caring about other's feelings, just saying what's on his mind to the public on the internet. Their goal is to make people feel like crap, so you'd have to take action even if you're an admin or not. Being an admin, I would mute/gag that person. Again, sorry if you just wanted a simple "If I was an admin" answer.

4. If I was an admin, I'd give a warning, then if they do not comply, I mute/gag them.

5. Speed hacking is kind of hard to catch, especially in a server that gives you some commands that can mimic it and increase your speed. Anyone can wrongly ban someone for not even hacking. But it's MUCH easier spotting an aimbotter than a speed hacker. I just want to make sure I am not banning someone who is innocent and did not hack, because I care about the well being of the community.

6. I did not know using god mode, but not killing anyone was against the rules. I will be more aware of this. Just to not make any cases, but I do believe I have seen admins on these servers before noclip into the enemy spawn and give themselves god mode, but not killing anyone. But if you don't want me to do this, I will follow orders. The only thing I can think of is just leaving the server and heading on another if I can't use god mode to be friendly, or just stay in my team's spawn and let them spam schadenfreude at me.

7. Yes, that does seem more logical. I can recall another time, a while back, that I saw an admin on one of these servers ban someone for 1 month for mic spam. I know it doesn't affect this situation, but just something I'd thought I share.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:02:11 PM by Grampa Gmod »

Offline BloodRain

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Hero
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 11:48:46 AM »
Alright.

Do you know any languages besides English?

Offline Grampa Gmod

• Forum Visitor
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 03:37:12 PM »
Alright.

Do you know any languages besides English?

My main language is English, but some time soon I'll be taking a Spanish class.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:39:28 PM by Grampa Gmod »

Offline BloodRain

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Hero
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 04:22:34 PM »
Thank you for applying for TF2SwapShop administration, however, we regret to inform you that we feel that you do not satisfy our standards for server administrators at the moment.

You may re-apply again after 3 month have passed.

Application denied.