• March 29, 2024, 08:08:35 AM

Author Topic: My Current Rhetoric, Jeremiad, Encouragement and Apologies to SwapShop  (Read 21953 times)

Offline Peter Capaldi's Peter Capaldi

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
TL;DR: Become a member.

I don't usually read applications, but I do, however, want to bring up something I find vital. While I can say that my time on the forums and my time away from the in-game atmosphere has drastically changed my perspective, I would like to mention the stunning in-game player base. The people I have encountered seem considerably young, but I believe SwapShop has one of the most unique, inviting and beloved communities I've encountered. SwapShop's player community is a diamond in the rough in many respects.

Of course, there are issues which underline the community's image. Now, I'm not sure if I'm only seeing this because I've been disconnected and only interested in the forums or if it's because I'm on to something. Personally, I think it's just because I've become disconnected to the folks who play in-game. Then again, that doesn't mean I'm on to something and it doesn't mean I'm not on to something.

Here's the news. These forums have a gatekeeper. It's called the administrator application. This wouldn't be the case if the majority of active people on these forums were strictly members. You're either a member with some bug or report that needs to be solved, a passer-by, an applicant or an administrator. There's little encouragement for long term and passionate forum members like me and Nationn. So I ask, why do so many people want to become an admin? Why aren't people content with fulfilling a greater role within the SwapShop forums and in-game community? 'Cause right now, the most important role anyone can fill is "member." This is especially true from a forum perspective.

Let me say this: as a member, I don't have the foggiest clue to what happens behind this forum's gatekeeper. The fact makes me suspicious, concerned and critical of the administration and betterment of SwapShop. Some days I worry too much and on days like these I care less. What's the grand vision? What's the point of becoming a SwapShop admin? We already have over thirty admins who may or may not work for SwapShop. Heck, Nationn isn't even committed to being a permanent member. Didn't Nationn apply for admin multiple times? We all know Sixteen is still hangin' around just to suck up and become an admin again. He already applied since his return and he has been denied. He'll apply again. People here on the forums and on the in-game servers want to be an admin. Why? Because admins have cool commands and cool powers, right? Maybe people perceive the administration as trash. Maybe it's a spit in the face to the administration's poor application to the people's issues. This may just be my little opinion but it sure feels like the truth.

If it's true that we have poor admins, then how in the world is SwapShop allowing such a poorly disciplined staff to exist in the first place? As far as I know, I am the only one who has expressed a determined commitment to my role as a permanent member of SwapShop. I do not have nor will I ever have a plan to be an admin. I refuse to make a application out of spite of the application system and I refuse to be an admin for the sake of SwapShop's integrity as a community. I do this out of passion and care, not malice and hate. I don't have a voice within the administration. I gain nothing from writing this. But while I write and act with a blind fold to the workings of the administration, I do know that there are people who care about what I'm fulfilling. At least I believe someone may care.

I have gotten frustrated with the people and circumstances of SwapShop's forum. I have also seen the kindness and patience some people have given to me, and for that I appreciate their efforts. Even though I have no power or ability I have felt like doing the most impossible, the most unthinkable and the most downright deplorable things. But deep down, I still have friends here who are willing to put up with me. Therefore, I am willing to put up with them. I count SwapShop to be a friend in need of healing. I suppose I'm pretty bad at fixin' up my friends. But I know who can fix it up, and it's every member and admin within this community.

So what's goin' on? Why are you applying for admin? Think about it. Do some soul searching and then get back to me on that. Maybe request for a few demotions down to member.

Here's your daily dose of random Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p00v9ZFhWJM
~

Offline Sixteen

• Veteran SwapShopper
  • Forum Hero
  • I have more to my story than you think.
    • Steam Profile Page
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Re: My Current Rhetoric, Jeremiad, Encouragement and Apologies to SwapShop
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 09:52:28 PM »
Alright.
~16
Yeah, I know. Or at least, soon enough.
~16

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 09:58:54 PM »
Alright.
~16
Some days, I can't help but think about how awesome you are. :P I love your unconditional response. Gives my little confused freezer of a heart a little glow. ;) Eh, now I'm getting a little too sentimental on my trashy topic. :P

https://youtu.be/CQmEfmXs0S8?t=1m38s
~

Offline Sixteen

• Veteran SwapShopper
  • Forum Hero
    • Steam Profile Page
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 10:00:59 PM »
I really admire how many posts you make complaining about how things are and claim that you are trying to make things different, yet everything has been the same this whole time. I am not against SwapShop changing. Just against your lack of trying.
~16
~16

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 10:02:29 PM »
I really admire how many posts you make complaining about how things are and claim that you are trying to make things different, yet everything has been the same this whole time. I am not against SwapShop changing. Just against your lack of trying.
~16
Righty-ho. What are you goin' to go do change SwapShop? What am I not doing? You need to teach me how to get stuff done. I'm being honest. You do. You're right. So you gotta teach me.
~

Offline Sixteen

• Veteran SwapShopper
  • Forum Hero
    • Steam Profile Page
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 10:05:16 PM »
I'm not the one looking to. You know that.
~16
~16

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 10:06:59 PM »
I'm not the one looking to. You know that.
~16

Well, what's the point in telling me what I already know? If you're not the one to look to, then you're not necessarily the one to talk about my complaint. It's just a stupid complaint after all, I'm only vocalizing. I assume you agree with something in my wall of text?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 06:48:32 PM by Lord Waldemart »
~

Offline Sixteen

• Veteran SwapShopper
  • Forum Hero
    • Steam Profile Page
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 10:08:23 PM »
It's just a stupid complaint after all
I agree.
~16
~16

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 10:09:57 PM »
It's just a stupid complaint after all
I agree.
~16

Alrighty, we'll go off of that. Let's mend this. What can we do? First order of business is off the table. No more complaining from me, and no more complaining from you. But if you're purpose is only to complain about my complaining, then that seems a little self-centered. I'm trying to work with you here and it seems like you're folding. What's up?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 06:48:41 PM by Lord Waldemart »
~

Offline I Know Right!

• Forum Visitor
  • :P
    • Tip of the Hats
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 11:11:25 PM »
Sixteen doesn't like us anymore. He's too good for us.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Fuzzy pickles!

Offline mental

• °
  • Forum Hero
  • Whoever threw that paper, your moms a hoe.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 03:23:00 AM »
Sixteen doesn't like us anymore. He's too good for us.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Actually you would think he doesn't like you, but he actually does.... deep down xD

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 10:45:31 AM »
Actually you would think he doesn't like you, but he actually does.... deep down xD

It's true. If he didn't like anyone, then he wouldn't be rebuking, pointing out the flaws and disagreeing. After some thinking about it, I agree with him. I say I'm going to do X, Y and Z and I say that I want to improve SwapShop but I don't act upon my intentions. There's no good coming from sitting around and complaining about the things I think need changing. I've only expressed my beliefs and that doesn't change anything. He's completely right.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 06:48:48 PM by Lord Waldemart »
~

• Egg
  • Forum Member
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 02:26:15 PM »
It's true. If he didn't like anyone, then he wouldn't be rebuking, pointing out the flaws and disagreeing. After some thinking about it, I agree with him. I say I'm going to do X, Y and Z and I say that I want to improve SwapShop but I don't act upon my intentions. There's no good coming from sitting around and complaining about the things I think need changing. I've only expressed my beliefs and that doesn't change anything. He's completely right.

Definitely agreeable, even while others have complained of the same things.

Complaints, suggestions, and ideas are meaningless here, and "nothing will ever change".

Imagine farmers who never use technology to benefit their franchise on a global level. Time to give up and enjoy the new grapple hook. Maybe they'll add x10 to all of the servers next. Just try not to get punished for breathing in the meantime.

So what's goin' on? Why are you applying for admin? Think about it. Do some soul searching and then get back to me on that. Maybe request for a few demotions down to member.

Want to know a secret?
I was so scared of admin mistreatment, that I applied so that they could not touch me (via punishment) if I targetted (killed) only them, or said something sarcastic/tauntingly.

Admins on TF2ss servers are terrifying because of their egos and close-knit relations. I can't be the only person who had an anxiety attack because of the way they act towards regular members. Yet, complaining about them is very frowned upon.

Never complain about admins ever again or everyone will hate you Peter.

Offline Hamtaro

• Server's Hamster
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Master
  • Hamha, how are you?
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 04:17:01 PM »

I cannot say I would hate you for it. I prefer an honest comment than a sugar coated comment that I would like to hear.
I don't bite, so feel free to message me if anything.
Hablo español con gran fluidez, asi que deje un mensaje si tienes dudas.

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 09:19:20 PM »
Definitely agreeable, even while others have complained of the same things.

Complaints, suggestions, and ideas are meaningless here, and "nothing will ever change".

Imagine farmers who never use technology to benefit their franchise on a global level. Time to give up and enjoy the new grapple hook. Maybe they'll add x10 to all of the servers next. Just try not to get punished for breathing in the meantime.

I'd rather be punished for breathing rather than be praised for my suicide. While I know I'm just pointlessly complaining, I believe that I should still say what's on my mind, what I believe and what I don't agree with. Someone's not going to magically appear and say what I want to say. If I don't say something, then it won't matter what I try. The converse works the same way. Throughout history, people have been able to bring change just by using their voice. Actions speak louder than words and words work harder than actions. I do have a lack of trying and I've only done something small. Unfortunately, you're right. No one listens to complaints and nothing will ever change here at SwapShop by complaining.

Want to know a secret?
I was so scared of admin mistreatment, that I applied so that they could not touch me (via punishment) if I targetted (killed) only them, or said something sarcastic/tauntingly.

Admins on TF2ss servers are terrifying because of their egos and close-knit relations. I can't be the only person who had an anxiety attack because of the way they act towards regular members. Yet, complaining about them is very frowned upon.

I respect your honesty and I understand why people feel pressured to become an admin. I can't say that I have ever been intimidated nor mistreated by administrators. The administrators I have encountered treat me well and they've been here for me. As I have said, I still value SwapShop as a friend. However, I don't trust the administration due to its system. I decided that I would rather complain about the administration than lie to my friends and censor my voice.

I encourage you to request for demotion and fight for SwapShop's forums. Don't be afraid to speak up. Don't be afraid to be a committed member. Don't be afraid of whatever you have seen behind the curtain. They may punish you for disagreeing but they cannot justify it. Respect the administration's decisions even if you disagree. They cannot justify permanent banishment under vocalization. You are protected by their conscience, by respecting their decisions and by your willingness to agree to disagree. You also have the protection under the duty, importance and responsibility of members. If am wrong, then I wouldn't be here.

I cannot say I would hate you for it. I prefer an honest comment than a sugar coated comment that I would like to hear.

I appreciate your input, Hamtaro. I would rather open a can than starve by an idle hand. I'd rather be hated by everyone for my voice than loved by no one for my silence. What Sixteen can't teach me is what I need to do. What he has taught me is that I need to act. I've already put a plan in place. This is only the beginning. Think about these forums and think about what the forum's gatekeeper has done. I don't know what happens behind the scenes. I know I'm going to mess up, but I also know that I have people who are here to help me learn and correct my mistakes. You know what happens behind the gates and you have an administrative influence. Make it count.

Here's your daily dose of Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7MUP-gokt0
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 06:49:01 PM by Lord Waldemart »
~