• April 19, 2024, 01:48:53 PM

Author Topic: My Current Rhetoric, Jeremiad, Encouragement and Apologies to SwapShop  (Read 23201 times)

Offline Sixteen

• Veteran SwapShopper
  • Forum Hero
  • I have more to my story than you think.
    • Steam Profile Page
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Re: My Current Rhetoric, Jeremiad, Encouragement and Apologies to SwapShop
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 10:25:32 PM »
Containers
08C
SS Discord
SS Security
Attracting New Players
Become a Member.
~16
Yeah, I know. Or at least, soon enough.
~16

Offline Peter Capaldi's Peter Capaldi

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 10:42:59 PM »
Containers
08C
SS Discord
SS Security
Attracting New Players
Become a Member.
~16

Hm. I'm not certain I'm reading exactly what you're trying to say. I'm supposed to think the best of this list or the worst of it? I just want to understand. I wanna know where we're going. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy0oWuhTzh8
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 06:48:06 PM by Lord Waldemart »
~

Offline BloodRain

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Hero
  • "Even lies contain some truth."
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 08:53:30 PM »
To Robo:

I somewhat disagree with some if not all of your generalized and stereotypical statements regarding Admin abuse and behavior.

When you base the entire Staff off of one or more anecdote, it's unfair to the rest of the Staff that have never done or behaved the way that you claim that all Admins do.

-

I'd also like to personally thank Peter for his admirable dedication and honesty. One thing that Robo said that I somewhat do agree with, is that some players are afraid of speaking out against Admins in fear of being punished for it. However, I personally believe that constructive criticism should always be encouraged around the community, because without feedback, we cannot improve and make the player base happier.

I'll also be honest in saying that I did not read the entire post, so if I left something out, feel free to correct me.

-Blood 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 08:55:15 PM by BloodRain »

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 10:18:16 PM »
When you base the entire Staff off of one or more anecdote, it's unfair to the rest of the Staff that have never done or behaved the way that you claim that all Admins do.

I'd also like to personally thank Peter for his admirable dedication and honesty. One thing that Robo said that I somewhat do agree with, is that some players are afraid of speaking out against Admins in fear of being punished for it. However, I personally believe that constructive criticism should always be encouraged around the community, because without feedback, we cannot improve and make the player base happier.

I'll also be honest in saying that I did not read the entire post, so if I left something out, feel free to correct me.

I'm gonna do this in color because I wanna use colors. :P

I would also like to point out that this is even true- if not especially true- in the positive context. It's still extraordinarily unfair to those who also do act as Robo has described. Generalizations are half-measures. They sort of get the job done and they tend to miss the big picture. It's just as unfair to say that all admins at SwapShop are nice yet digressive as it is to say that all admins at SwapShop are hateful yet insightful.

For example, is a man who slings racial slurs entirely racist? Of course not! Hate can be quite productive and enlightening. What determines a racist person is disrespect, not the hatred. The reason why so many people commit hate crimes is because the people who commit them don't understand the difference between hatred and disrespect. Therefore, hatred is stereotyped and people get confused.

Some days I wonder if those people are stereotyping others or if they're stereotyping hatred. People have been convinced that hatred and offensiveness is disrespect. I know a friend who wears a mask of racism, edginess and faux bigotry to stand out from the crowd and get a laugh. Some days he allows his mask to control him and other days he has sincerely told me the truth. You need to remember that the people who are or seem "racist" are people too.

Besides, I'm sure there are people who disagree with me and I'm sure they have spectacular reasons. I don't doubt that. This example only captures a small fraction of the racial issues and the multiple perspectives on the matter. Well, that and...

Thank you for your words, Bloodrain. I'm glad that you try to live contrary to what Robo has experienced. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as listening and making the community happier. It's not about making people happier; it's about improving SwapShop. I would rather have SwapShop improve than have every person happy.

I have a correction for ya. :D Read the entire post ya lazy bones! ;)

CAAAAAAAAAAARL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJOwdrTA8Gw&t=15s
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 08:18:25 PM by Peter Capaldi's Sunglasses »
~

Offline Psy

• Butt Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Master
  • I'm retarded.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 12:41:25 AM »
I'm going to make my point here, minus the aggression.

Okay so...

A lot of the staff members are lazy. This is an ongoing debate of whether we should or shouldn't care about it. True, it is a voluntary job for a gaming community. But, and this is the strongest point anyone can make that wishes to address this issue, it is still a job. Why bother hiring new staff members and 2/3 of them don't do the job? Sure it's just a game but come on, if that's your (general audience) only argument for letting these applicants slack off, might as well just keep those that actually do their job.

When I resigned, I sort of fired myself. I was stressing out over the community too much that I didn't see how unhealthy it was for me. Now that I have a clearer mind, I would like to say that I do not regret my resignation. It has allowed me to cool down and get rid of my aggression towards the lazy portion of the staff. However, recently a few of the staff themselves have come to me expressing their disappointment towards each other.

Pardon my French but, WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU IDIOTS COMPLAINING TO ME WHEN YOU YOURSELVES ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE PROBLEMS THAT YOU'RE BITCHING ABOUT?

"Death acts like a 10 year old."
"I don't think Blood knows what he's doing."
"I'm the only one taking reports nowadays."
"All the good ones left."
"The system is corrupt, so I just stopped caring."

As Hades has constantly told me before, "be the change that you want to happen" or something like that..

I won't call out specific names, but in my opinion, if I was still part of staff, there would be a mass demotion wave, the second to go on SwapShop history.

Want my honestly honest opinion? Get rid of the bad eggs... You guys only need less than 20 staff members.. If new ones show up that are way better than the old ones, get rid of the old ones..

SwapShop staff is notoriously known to form close bonds with each other, that's how I met my current partner..

Unless anyone really wants to make a change, nobody's voices will be taken seriously. Sure they'll be heard, but so what? Look where I ended up.. Just simply a retired staff member..

I may be respected by a good portion of the community but I don't need it..

And for those who use their admin status to gain "respect," I feel sorry for you..

Getting a genuine "thank you so much admin" comment is so much more rewarding than a stupid "admin is bae" comment..
AFK like JFK

Offline mental

• °
  • Forum Hero
  • Whoever threw that paper, your moms a hoe.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 02:34:17 AM »
I think I will give my two cents in this debacle.

I completely agree with Psykotik, GET RID OF THE FUCKING LAZY PIECES OF SHITS.

Im sick and tired of seeing Swapshop getting fucked over by a bunch of faggots that don't know what they are doing, or better yet people who cant be botherd to do their part in the community. We do not need people slacking off in this community. None of this would have happen if you had listen. So my suggestion, listen to US the community and start the removal of admins who cant be bothered to do their part in the community and only want respect and attention and to start adding people who actually fucking care about Swapshop.

I am not going to sit here and watch Swapshop go downhill because a bunch of admins are too stupid to think and do their jobs. I think we should have a meeting with some really good community members and staff members and discuss this situation because this has gotten way out of hand.

Sorry for my french and rant, feel free to correct me on the shit that I have said.

Love,
Nationn

Offline Biscuit

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2016, 05:34:03 PM »
Maybe contradictory because of my being on staff, but yeah this is the truth and the full truth. Everything everyone has said is generally what is happening or has happened in the past.

There are admins that don't really move a finger and I do think that should be addressed ASAP. The dead weight is not something we need to keep whether or not these highly inactive people are changing SwapShop in a negative way.

I'm guilty of being quite lazy on SwapShop matters as of recently but I do believe my circumstances are understandable and relatable enough for the rest of you to take in. School is really occupying any and all of my free time and my weekends and I now have a job I'm going to start in two weeks. I'm trying not to make all of these things sound like an excuse but I know that you'll see it like that anyway.

If you think any of the admins are just acting as dead weight you should message them directly. Especially if I'm on that list. I always take criticism openly and with full respect to other's opinions. If you think that this issue is something we should tackle in a future staff meeting then please say so. I'd be more than happy to write about the topic and discuss removing inactive admins.

And a trend that y'all probably see when inactive members are considered for demotion is that they will become extremely active after we notify them of their possible demotion if no action is taken. And after maybe a week or two, they just disappear like they've done their part and all is well. This is something I don't think should be allowed to happen. There are only so many warnings one can give before changes must happen.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Sixteen

• Veteran SwapShopper
  • Forum Hero
    • Steam Profile Page
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2016, 06:01:44 PM »
Well then a big question for the admins is: Do you guys need more active hands on deck or is the job getting done?
~16
~16

Offline Biscuit

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2016, 06:14:01 PM »
Yeah I would support a cutoff line for how many admins we hire. We hired give or take 50+ admins ever since I've been on staff. There is not a need for more than just a selected few, maybe 10-15 admins at most. The only time we would ever need extra admins is if they live in a foreign country to help with the nighttime and early morning reports, which I don't really know if there are any.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2016, 07:57:55 PM »
Well then a big question for the admins is: Do you guys need more active hands on deck or is the job getting done?
~16

That's exactly the question. According to the recent posts, SwapShop's admins are being lazy. Those administrators probably haven't been dedicated or occupied with SwapShop. Whether or not they were dedicated members prior to their service is unknown to me. However, adding administrators who may be active for their initial acceptance period is a cheap way to acquire active administrators. In any case, people have free reign to sign up and immediately apply. if I were a new member on the forums, then I would see a reason to apply for an administrator position, let alone a in-game administrator position. With such members who are apparently "dedicated enough", you would think that they would be active prior to submitting an application. I would like to know the amount of successful and productive admins who signed up when they first joined the forums.

Maybe contradictory because of my being on staff, but yeah this is the truth and the full truth. Everything everyone has said is generally what is happening or has happened in the past.

There are admins that don't really move a finger and I do think that should be addressed ASAP. The dead weight is not something we need to keep whether or not these highly inactive people are changing SwapShop in a negative way.

I'm guilty of being quite lazy on SwapShop matters as of recently but I do believe my circumstances are understandable and relatable enough for the rest of you to take in. School is really occupying any and all of my free time and my weekends and I now have a job I'm going to start in two weeks. I'm trying not to make all of these things sound like an excuse but I know that you'll see it like that anyway.

If you think any of the admins are just acting as dead weight you should message them directly. Especially if I'm on that list. I always take criticism openly and with full respect to other's opinions. If you think that this issue is something we should tackle in a future staff meeting then please say so. I'd be more than happy to write about the topic and discuss removing inactive admins.

And a trend that y'all probably see when inactive members are considered for demotion is that they will become extremely active after we notify them of their possible demotion if no action is taken. And after maybe a week or two, they just disappear like they've done their part and all is well. This is something I don't think should be allowed to happen. There are only so many warnings one can give before changes must happen.

I agree, these administrators should be demoted. Any of the admins who remain should take action and time on the public forums. To prevent further inactive members I would recommend cutting off the flow of poor administration at its roots. I would either automatically deny applications made by new members or set a lock on applications until a particular level or statistic is acquired by new members. As a bonus, setting a required number of posts, hours and such on the forums would eliminate the "how much time would you spend on the forums" question on the application form. Not supporting any promotional means for member growth on the public boards for the sake of advocating an admin-centered forum while retaining a public board is ludicrous. If SwapShop wishes to retain a public board yet require members to become admins, then all sections on the public boards excluding the "Rules & Guidelines" board, the "Reporting & Help Section" board and the "Applications" board should be removed.

Yeah I would support a cutoff line for how many admins we hire. We hired give or take 50+ admins ever since I've been on staff. There is not a need for more than just a selected few, maybe 10-15 admins at most. The only time we would ever need extra admins is if they live in a foreign country to help with the nighttime and early morning reports, which I don't really know if there are any.

It's mind boggling that there more admins on these forums than active members... I suppose we'll allow and encourage new members to create admin applications to potentially slack off and maybe gain a little bit of cheap respect by allowing them to submit applications. If a new member on the forums has already been a dedicated SwapShop member in-game, then they should want to participate on the public boards, especially those members who wish to become admins.

Because if new members can make administrator applications, then they won't take time on these forums and they won't take time to see where their talents and time is needed. Adding a limit will ensure that we get more members and more active admins. Think about it. Many people don't know the power, vitality and protection they hold as a member. They want cheap respect, power and protection from administrator role can offer. Allowing people to become familiar to being a member on the forums would help educate the people. Heck, it may even humble the bad eggs.

Unless anyone really wants to make a change, nobody's voices will be taken seriously. Sure they'll be heard, but so what? Look where I ended up.. Just simply a retired staff member..

Im sick and tired of seeing Swapshop getting fucked over by a bunch of faggots that don't know what they are doing, or better yet people who cant be botherd to do their part in the community. We do not need people slacking off in this community. None of this would have happen if you had listen. So my suggestion, listen to US the community and start the removal of admins who cant be bothered to do their part in the community and only want respect and attention and to start adding people who actually fucking care about Swapshop.

If radical changes aren't brought, then this will only become a never ending windmill and, let me tell you, I can see a windmill in our Feel Good Inc. But hey...

Here's your daily dose of Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xaKsNdq1HE
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:50:24 PM by Peter Capaldi's Sunglasses »
~

Offline mental

• °
  • Forum Hero
  • Whoever threw that paper, your moms a hoe.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2016, 02:02:05 AM »
~16
In that case, removing lazy admins?

Offline Sixteen

• Veteran SwapShopper
  • Forum Hero
    • Steam Profile Page
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2016, 10:39:21 AM »
Well that's not really my point. If the heads want to cut off all of the "lazy admins" (which is a horrible term) then go ahead. My point is that if you have enough admins, then stop accepting new admin applications. No point in adding more if you already have too many. This would really suck for all of the new applicants, but that's how it works I guess.
~16
~16

Offline murts

• Strumming your bum daily
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2016, 03:10:06 PM »
 We don't really want to say remove "lazy" admins but from recent events have shown admins don't care to even check forums any more. As there are some who do I can't say this is everyone but the fact is people are getting lazy and something needs to be done.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 03:11:44 PM by Strum™ »
counter sally strike go

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2016, 06:12:59 PM »
A lot of the staff members are lazy. This is an ongoing debate of whether we should or shouldn't care about it.

Well that's not really my point. If the heads want to cut off all of the "lazy admins" (which is a horrible term) then go ahead.
We don't really want to say remove "lazy" admins [...]

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold on! What the heck is being played here? One group of you guys is saying SwapShop has lazy admins and another is saying that we don't have lazy admins. Just because an admin is productive doesn't mean that admin is proactive. If an admin is not productive and proactive, then the admin is lazy. Well, which one is it? Are they lazy or are they active? If they are lazy, then who's being lazy? ???

Well that's not really my point. If the heads want to cut off all of the "lazy admins" (which is a horrible term) then go ahead. My point is that if you have enough admins, then stop accepting new admin applications. No point in adding more if you already have too many. This would really suck for all of the new applicants, but that's how it works I guess.
~16

Heyo! Closing admin applications sounds like a good start. I'm liking that idea. ;) Maybe we can take the next step forward and require new members to actually participate on the forums before they make an admin application. I mean, it's not like we're trying to make applicants feel good by accepting them instead of actually looking for excellent potenti- wait... I almost forgot. This is the Feel Good Inc. 8)

We don't really want to say remove "lazy" admins but from recent events have shown admins don't care to even check forums any more. As there are some who do I can't say this is everyone but the fact is people are getting lazy and something needs to be done. If they are lazy, then who's being lazy?

I agree. Something certainly needs to be done about the administrators laziness. I love how my topic about the forum's dire need of members has spiraled off into a "let's just talk about what's happening inside the administration." Noice hijack. 8) Then again, I shouldn't complain. Now that I think about it, I'm glad the admins are being open about what's happening behind the gates.

Here's your daily dose of Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muLAN-kP5pE
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 06:29:59 PM by Peter Capaldi's Sunglasses »
~

Offline Psy

• Butt Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Master
  • I'm retarded.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2016, 07:40:01 PM »
The Head Admins seem to know the issue like everyone else. The question is, what are they going to do about it?

Are they going to start cutting down on these people or are we going to have this discussion again after Christmas?
AFK like JFK