• May 01, 2024, 02:55:16 AM

Author Topic: Peter's Question  (Read 15851 times)

Offline Peter Capaldi's Peter Capaldi

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Peter's Question
« on: November 30, 2016, 03:14:51 PM »
I have one question for all the admins: Why?

Every time I go on Server #35 to have fun, the new admins are always on it and they abuse the shit out of commands. Last night I was playing with Psy, and Pookie decided it was cool to necrosmash everybody TWICE without a vote! Then he called a smite vote which was only 58% and he still smited everybody. When I was an admin here, I was told that votes like that must pass by 70% in order for it to be justified..

Then you have Virus Alpha using csay for unnecessary comments and personal conversations. And guess what? It was Psy who told him off. Why does a retired staff member have to tell an admin off? I thought admins were supposed to be people you could look to for help and guidance.

Now, whenever I go on, I'm not surprised when I see 3-4 admins running around with the /resizeme command or rolling "Spawn a Dispenser" for themselves so many times.

Not to mention some of them spawn bosses like crazy. These new admins somehow got in thanks to YOU people.

Please do something about it because a lot of players are being driven away. It's bad enough that only #35 is ever full anymore. Don't drive away the remaining players you have left. In my opinion, I'd rather fire a few guys than to lose tons of players.

I used to be afraid of using a simple csay for unnecessary reasons, I thought I would be punished. But it seems that it wouldn't have even mattered compared to the mass destruction we're dealing with now. To disrupt a community for your own enjoyment and still get away with it? In my opinion, that's bannable.

Hold up. Retired admins can still use commands to spawn in bosses and whatnot? I thought SwapShop would have done away with that idea. Huh. Looks like these retired admins who are claiming to be "members" aren't really members. I would assume the same thing for functionality on the forums since this issue hasn't been stomped out, and the fact that I'm assuming that is just plain sad.

According to Sipow, this whole new admin business is out of hand. New admins are expected to mess up. However, the fact that this is expected is incredibly stupid. If we denied new forum members the ability to apply and if we moved towards a "less is more" mentality with the admin population, then this admin abuse wouldn't be an issue. No matter how experienced or young, admins from ANY online establishment should NOT have the ability, right or conscience to abuse their powers. EVER. This is the kind of stuff that makes me say, "SwapShop sucks."

You know what? Check it: https://youtu.be/J0aTygRmubo?t=50s

In other words, I told you so. Dear retired staff members, please request for a demotion. In addition, please read this topic's original post and consider my demotion suggestion: http://tf2swapshop.com/forum/index.php?topic=2093.0 This is what you need. Don't try to convince me otherwise because you're only going to shoot yourself in the foot. You can't convince anyone. You can only convince yourself. Now reflect, relate and think on that OP, your current state as a retried member and your motivations, aspirations, goals, morals, actions and the such in regards to why you want to be an admin. I'm sure you'll find something in your noodle.

~

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Re: Peter's Question
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 03:18:47 PM »
I would suggest writing an admin report on the specific admins that you believe are abusing their powers. If you need help finding logs of their command usage, I would ask Hades. He is a master with regards the logs system. Reporting admins is not a common things, but if you believe that they are misusing their abilities and should be punished, that is the way of doing it. And frankly, it is the correct way of doing it. I used to believe in doing everything in my power to keep admins in power, but I have shifted into the mindset of things being done correctly and orderly.

Report them.

~16

Now you're gettin' it. Less is more.

~

Offline murts

• Strumming your bum daily
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:25:24 PM »
I have one question for all the admins: Why?

Every time I go on Server #35 to have fun, the new admins are always on it and they abuse the shit out of commands. Last night I was playing with Psy, and Pookie decided it was cool to necrosmash everybody TWICE without a vote! Then he called a smite vote which was only 58% and he still smited everybody. When I was an admin here, I was told that votes like that must pass by 70% in order for it to be justified..

Then you have Virus Alpha using csay for unnecessary comments and personal conversations. And guess what? It was Psy who told him off. Why does a retired staff member have to tell an admin off? I thought admins were supposed to be people you could look to for help and guidance.

Now, whenever I go on, I'm not surprised when I see 3-4 admins running around with the /resizeme command or rolling "Spawn a Dispenser" for themselves so many times.

Not to mention some of them spawn bosses like crazy. These new admins somehow got in thanks to YOU people.

Please do something about it because a lot of players are being driven away. It's bad enough that only #35 is ever full anymore. Don't drive away the remaining players you have left. In my opinion, I'd rather fire a few guys than to lose tons of players.

I used to be afraid of using a simple csay for unnecessary reasons, I thought I would be punished. But it seems that it wouldn't have even mattered compared to the mass destruction we're dealing with now. To disrupt a community for your own enjoyment and still get away with it? In my opinion, that's bannable.

Hold up. Retired admins can still use commands to spawn in bosses and whatnot? I thought SwapShop would have done away with that idea. Huh. Looks like these retired admins who are claiming to be "members" aren't really members. I would assume the same thing for functionality on the forums since this issue hasn't been stomped out, and the fact that I'm assuming that is just plain sad.

According to Sipow, this whole new admin business is out of hand. New admins are expected to mess up. However, the fact that this is expected is incredibly stupid. If we denied new forum members the ability to apply and if we moved towards a "less is more" mentality with the admin population, then this admin abuse wouldn't be an issue. No matter how experienced or young, admins from ANY online establishment should NOT have the ability, right or conscience to abuse their powers. EVER. This is the kind of stuff that makes me say, "SwapShop sucks."

You know what? Check it: https://youtu.be/J0aTygRmubo?t=50s

In other words, I told you so. Dear retired staff members, please request for a demotion. In addition, please read this topic's original post and consider my demotion suggestion: http://tf2swapshop.com/forum/index.php?topic=2093.0 This is what you need. Don't try to convince me otherwise because you're only going to shoot yourself in the foot. You can't convince anyone. You can only convince yourself. Now reflect, relate and think on that OP, your current state as a retried member and your motivations, aspirations, goals, morals, actions and the such in regards to why you want to be an admin. I'm sure you'll find something in your noodle.

It never says retired admins can do commands but that pookie was using them to spawn a boss. Psy was a mere witness to this situation.
counter sally strike go

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 03:30:20 PM »
It never says retired admins can do commands but that pookie was using them to spawn a boss. Psy was a mere witness to this situation.
Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't read that entire line all the way through. Thanks! However, I think it's still possible for an retired admin to use commands. I would have to check it out myself. :D Nice to know that you didn't read my whole post before the constructive criticism.

But...

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 03:53:10 PM by Peter Capaldi's Sunglasses »
~

Offline Psy

• Butt Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Master
  • I'm retarded.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 03:34:42 PM »
Dammit Peter, you confused everybody lol.
AFK like JFK

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 03:38:54 PM »
Dammit Peter, you confused everybody lol.
Lol. That's to be expected. ;)
~

Offline theSipow

• Cum Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Jai Geru Deva Om
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 03:43:16 PM »
I request that any admins that have abused in the past few days state their reasons why they thought it was okay to do so. I know few of them even use the forums, but don't you think that should be taken care of as well?
\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_(  ̿  ̿  ̿  ̿°̿̿ ̿ ̿  ̿ ͜ʖ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿°̿  ̿  ̿)_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
i blame sipow

Offline Psy

• Butt Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Master
  • I'm retarded.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 03:44:03 PM »
Pffft. I doubt anybody would be open about their abuse.
AFK like JFK

Offline theSipow

• Cum Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Jai Geru Deva Om
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 03:47:16 PM »
But the head staff can check logs. This whole post is directed towards the abusers and head staff anyway.
\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_(  ̿  ̿  ̿  ̿°̿̿ ̿ ̿  ̿ ͜ʖ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿°̿  ̿  ̿)_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
i blame sipow

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 03:49:12 PM »
I request that any admins that have abused in the past few days state their reasons why they thought it was okay to do so. I know few of them even use the forums, but don't you think that should be taken care of as well?

Ya, I think that's true for admins. I don't think the admins will actually come forward. But I think the retired staff members will be quick to come forward. I don't think either is right to do at this point. Wanna know why? Because...

But the head staff can check logs. This whole post is directed towards the abusers and head staff anyway.

Ya, this is true. At this point, I'm just gonna stop hijacking your topic. You're off on your own in admin land for now! :)
~

Offline Ἀΐδης

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Master
  • What is it you truly seek to obtain?
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 03:57:19 PM »
Hold up. Retired admins can still use commands to spawn in bosses and whatnot? I thought SwapShop would have done away with that idea.
This to my knowledge was never a thing. When someone retires or is fired, they have no access to administrator commands and all permissions are removed from them. You misunderstood the post.

New admins are expected to mess up. However, the fact that this is expected is incredibly stupid. If we denied new forum members the ability to apply and if we moved towards a "less is more" mentality with the admin population, then this admin abuse wouldn't be an issue. No matter how experienced or young, admins from ANY online establishment should NOT have the ability, right or conscience to abuse their powers. EVER. This is the kind of stuff that makes me say, "SwapShop sucks."

Anything meant for good will be abused. It is expected for someone to mess up, reason being is we all make mistakes. However this doesn't mean when someone abuses that we simply forget about it. Punishments are enacted in response to it. Such as being the case is now. Keep in mind Peter that you are unfortunately not a staff member. Due to this you as well as retired/demoted staff do not know what punishments are given, or improvements made to help prevent abuse. You can never stop abuse Peter. It is not a matter of if but a matter of when it will happen. All we can do is try to be prepared. Most of the staff is at school or work. As such, abuse is not always found or identified right away. This less is more isn't an ideal answer for a multitude of reasons.

Sixty servers are currently apart of SwapShop, thus having less staff means that we may run out of staff to actually handle those reports that are made or to investigate an issue ,etc... .

You may ask yourself or us why not simply reduce the servers, again not ideal. The sixty servers SS currently has allows for: 1. Revenue generate, 2. Meet an a players base want of options when it comes to their play style and what they enjoy.

The servers, abuse, and the administration amount is a delicate balance. There is no simple answer on how to solve it. While abuse cannot be stopped, measures can be put into place to help prevent it and those who deem the risk of abusing is worth it have to answer for it and deal with the punishments accordingly.

"Plan for the worst, hope for the best."(Unknown)

In other words, I told you so. Dear retired staff members, please request for a demotion.
This makes no sense. See above.

To briefly summarize and point out, there are better ways to solve problems.

Hades

Offline Ἀΐδης

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Master
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 04:00:51 PM »
Topic split to prevent hijacking of another individuals thread.

Hades

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 04:03:43 PM »
Hold up. Retired admins can still use commands to spawn in bosses and whatnot? I thought SwapShop would have done away with that idea.
This to my knowledge was never a thing. When someone retires or is fired, they have no access to administrator commands and all permissions are removed from them. You misunderstood the post.

New admins are expected to mess up. However, the fact that this is expected is incredibly stupid. If we denied new forum members the ability to apply and if we moved towards a "less is more" mentality with the admin population, then this admin abuse wouldn't be an issue. No matter how experienced or young, admins from ANY online establishment should NOT have the ability, right or conscience to abuse their powers. EVER. This is the kind of stuff that makes me say, "SwapShop sucks."

Anything meant for good will be abused. It is expected for someone to mess up, reason being is we all make mistakes. However this doesn't mean when someone abuses that we simply forget about it. Punishments are enacted in response to it. Such as being the case is now. Keep in mind Peter that you are unfortunately not a staff member. Due to this you as well as retired/demoted staff do not know what punishments are given, or improvements made to help prevent abuse. You can never stop abuse Peter. It is not a matter of if but a matter of when it will happen. All we can do is try to be prepared. Most of the staff is at school or work. As such, abuse is not always found or identified right away. This less is more isn't an ideal answer for a multitude of reasons.

Sixty servers are currently apart of SwapShop, thus having less staff means that we may run out of staff to actually handle those reports that are made or to investigate an issue ,etc... .

You may ask yourself or us why not simply reduce the servers, again not ideal. The sixty servers SS currently has allows for: 1. Revenue generate, 2. Meet an a players base want of options when it comes to their play style and what they enjoy.

The servers, abuse, and the administration amount is a delicate balance. There is no simple answer on how to solve it. While abuse cannot be stopped, measures can be put into place to help prevent it and those who deem the risk of abusing is worth it have to answer for it and deal with the punishments accordingly.

"Plan for the worst, hope for the best."(Unknown)

In other words, I told you so. Dear retired staff members, please request for a demotion.
This makes no sense. See above.

To briefly summarize and point out, there are better ways to solve problems.

Hades

Someone didn't look deep enough.
~

Offline Ἀΐδης

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Master
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 04:12:09 PM »
Peter please understand that once someone joins a SwapShop server or the forums their now a member. They have credits now tied to them and usable in shop and/or a forum account now tied to them, plus more. One does not simply have to join the forums to be a member. IF someone wishes to apply to become more, who are we to say no?

I did read the post of which you included at the bottom of your post.

Hades
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 04:14:16 PM by Hades »

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 04:15:13 PM »
Peter please understand that once someone joins a SwapShop server or the forums their now a member. They have credits now tied to them and usable in shop and/or a a forum account now tied to them, plus more. One does not simply have to join the forums to be a member. IF someone wishes to apply to become more, who are we to say no?

I did read the post of which you included at the bottom of your post.

Hades
As I said, you've seriously not looked deep enough.
~