• April 28, 2024, 09:50:50 PM

Author Topic: I think grapples should go back to hell.  (Read 13144 times)

Offline meatbone

• Personal Counselor
  • Forum Poster
  • Walking on a dream
    • Steam URL Because I change my name a lot
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Re: I think grapples should go back to hell.
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 09:04:36 PM »
Psy, I didn't make a pool because I was never taught how to.
Ooooookaaaaaay? ??? Surely you jest? :P

1.) I forgot I can quote forum posts.

2.) I'm not joking when I saw nobody told me how to create polls*

3.) I misspelled poll.
Code: [Select]
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
    alert("Am I wearing these thigh highs right?");
//-->
</script>

Offline Psy

• Butt Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Master
  • I'm retarded.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2016, 09:11:55 PM »
Psy, I didn't make a pool because I was never taught how to.
Ooooookaaaaaay? ??? Surely you jest? :P

1.) I forgot I can quote forum posts.

2.) I'm not joking when I saw nobody told me how to create polls*

3.) I misspelled poll.

If making a new topic and you want to add a poll to it, click "NEW POLL" instead of "NEW TOPIC".

If adding a poll to an existing topic, click "ADD POLL" at the top right corner of the post next to "REPLY".
AFK like JFK

Offline Peter Capaldi's Peter Capaldi

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2016, 09:19:56 PM »
EDITED: Or, you know, learn how to parse UI information and not fail like me. :P
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 12:54:30 AM by Peter Capaldi's Santa Hat »
~

Offline meatbone

• Personal Counselor
  • Forum Poster
  • Walking on a dream
    • Steam URL Because I change my name a lot
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 12:47:27 AM »
Or, you know, learn how to parse UI information. :P

Hey I appreciate what you do for the forums, but please do not talk down to me. I do not appreciate it.
Code: [Select]
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
    alert("Am I wearing these thigh highs right?");
//-->
</script>

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 12:51:59 AM »
Hey I appreciate what you do for the forums, but please do not talk down to me. I do not appreciate it.

I'm sorry that I hurt you. I was just trying to joke around. Seriously, even I have UI parsing problems. I've been trying to figure out FL Studio... That UI is a nightmare. It's pretty, but man, it's a nightmare! :P I can edit my post if you want me to. Just tell me how I should edit it to and I'll change it as soon as possible!
~

Offline BloodRain

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Hero
  • "Even lies contain some truth."
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2016, 01:02:58 AM »
In my own personal opinion, the skill cap is raised much higher with the addition of grappling hooks. It doesn't make the servers as enjoyable as they did before the addition of the jetpacks and hooks.

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2016, 01:16:35 AM »
In my own personal opinion, the skill cap is raised much higher with the addition of grappling hooks. It doesn't make the servers as enjoyable as they did before the addition of the jetpacks and hooks.

I wonder how Sharking will be impacted. I still haven't set up my stuff yet... I'm not playing TF2 until I get my current setup close to my old setup... I would agree but I'm not sure if it's actually true. I'm not sure if this makes the game easier or harder. At least, I'm not sure how it impacts 08. The reason why I want the feature is because it seems like a pretty bad addition to the gameplay.
~

Offline Hamtaro

• Server's Hamster
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Master
  • Hamha, how are you?
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2016, 12:28:26 PM »
Well votes were made, can lock the topic upon request.
I don't bite, so feel free to message me if anything.
Hablo español con gran fluidez, asi que deje un mensaje si tienes dudas.

Offline Minion of Set

• The Intimidating One
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Poster
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2016, 12:40:46 PM »
While I understand the complaint about grapple hooks (mostly due to their range), but it did add some variety to servers, and made it easier to get out of spawn if one side was camping. You could impose a limit on how long they stick surfaces, as it only take a second to get halfway across trade plaza while using it. Not only that, but it also opened up the possibility to perform tricks and interesting kills. Yeah sure, heavies could drop out of nowhere, but you can still kill the person grappling around and if they manage to attach themselves to you. All it took was just getting used to it.

Just because some of you didn't like the new features doesn't mean everyone else didn't, and I've seen plenty using the new addon. And because so few come to the forums, I doubt this poll is an accurate representation. I welcome new changes (like the recent train rain thing), but not if they make the servers seem stale in comparison to what they used to be.
Words of Wisdom: Never piss off an engineer, because he will get your balls, no matter what you do

• Egg
  • Forum Member
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2016, 04:01:59 PM »
Hi, I'd like to make a pose a possibly intriguing thought to the topic of ad-ons to this server concerning the grappling hook among other features.

I see a lot of administrators using arguments such as "attracting new players" and "spawn-camp prevention".

I have not noted any new players who join these servers simply because it has a grappling hook. TF2's original purpose for the grappling hooks in their new game-mode was unsuccessful in its popularity - most players shunned the new game mode because it wasn't fun to deal with players who grappled away in a fight, or grappled directly into an instant-backstab or (as I like to do, especially) demomen who would tag onto better players and instantly kill them with the caber.

If admins are going to claim it's attracting new players, then there should be some form of proof of this, because from the looks of it no one is observing new players, and the player-rate in TF2 isn't really fluctuating, to begin with.

Furthermore, I'd like to include that I've been using these grappling hooks to grief newer players, if anything. It's a griefing tool, and isn't useful for anyone but better players or hit-and-run tactics. So those new players you're talking about? Never saw any come back to the servers after having their asses handed to them with a grapple.

Lastly, about the "spawn camping" tidbit which is a notable issue among the TF2ss servers - the grappling hook doesn't solve this issue. Spawn camping still remains the same, and players will see where the hook is going and follow their target - if not grapple onto the campees immediately upon spawn exit. I personally think this argument is invalid.

If you guys really want to prevent spawn camping, then look into pursuing friendly mode upon your servers.

I'm glad the grappling hook was removed - and I used it a LOT. That does not mean I liked it or thought it was a good idea. It's survival adaption.

Offline Lunarium

• High Tier Trader
  • Staff Trainer
  • Forum Master
  • Your Deadly skill is jogging? Mine is Murdering.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2016, 10:32:39 PM »

If you guys really want to prevent spawn camping, then look into pursuing friendly mode upon your servers.

Been there, done that.

The friendly command that was last implemented over a year ago for a long period of time, broke the weapon drops. We could only have one or the other. The exploit was essentially a free godmode in the ability to pick up a fully loaded weapon while untouchable.

The Grappling hooks seem to have been removed, so they are no longer currently a concern.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 12:04:41 AM by ϟ ☠Lunarium Wolf☠ »

Offline Psy

• Butt Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Master
  • I'm retarded.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 03:28:20 PM »
Grappling hooks have been removed.

Topic locked.
AFK like JFK