• April 20, 2024, 12:56:45 AM

Author Topic: Guide/Helper ??  (Read 10637 times)

Offline mental

• °
  • Forum Hero
  • Whoever threw that paper, your moms a hoe.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Guide/Helper ??
« on: January 06, 2017, 05:45:41 AM »
Just a short little suggestion.

This tag is mainly to people who are MORE helpful to others. I am not saying that most of the Team Fortress 2 Swap Shop community is not helpful, but you have those community members that would prefer bullying new comers rather than helping them ... that is why I am suggestion this tag, for people that ACTUALLY help new players. The Guide is basically and admin rank with no commands.

Rules :

- You must be a member of 2 years or more.
- Active on the servers.

Please do consider adding this in. If you have any questions or just plain criticism, leave them below. If you want to add on, also leave it in the comments.

P.S - I know this is not going to get in ... but it was worth a shot. 

Offline Psy

• Butt Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Master
  • I'm retarded.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Re: Guide/Helper ??
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 01:12:07 PM »
I agree and disagree.

I agree because...

1. The position/tag is another trustworthy position and it lets players know who they can ask for help if an administrator is not present.

I disagree because...

1. The position/tag would apply to a lot of people that are not exactly reliable for helping new players (I.e. those who cause trouble for people both admins and regulars).

2. The position/tag adds another layer of hierarchy to the already-hierarchial ranks in SwapShop. Sure we tell people that we don't act like dictators but it's really hard to believe that when we have some admins who intimidate players in order to get them to stop breaking the rules, and the fact that server administrators have to listen to the head administration team.

3. The position/tag would be a hassle for the administrators to keep an eye on these helpers. Who can guarantee that these "helpers" won't impersonate admins and try to use their tag to get away with breaking the rules or making up new ones?
AFK like JFK

Offline BloodRain

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Hero
  • "Even lies contain some truth."
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 11:03:25 PM »
Pros:

-Players with a designated tag for reliable assistance can be beneficial if they truly are honest and knowledgeable.

Cons:

-The "hierarchy" would be more pronounced.
-We cannot guarantee that these players will supply accurate information.
-Situations that could only be handled by Administrators cannot be dealt with if they are given a command-less position.

Offline BloodRain

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Hero
  • "Even lies contain some truth."
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 11:04:17 PM »
poll added.

Offline meatbone

• Personal Counselor
  • Forum Poster
  • Walking on a dream
    • Steam URL Because I change my name a lot
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 02:37:32 AM »
I'm voting against it, since the staff has had previous rolls before but got removed for uselessness.

History repeats itself.
Code: [Select]
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
    alert("Am I wearing these thigh highs right?");
//-->
</script>

Offline FAP GOD

• °
  • Forum Poster
  • Don't be an entrepreneur of someone else's dreams
    • Google Backwards
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 09:48:17 PM »
As a community member i see this as good because:
This could be a tour guide
This could increase the community
This couldn't be abused as it has no commands
Now for the cons:
Most people I know on tf2ss were not on tf2ss 2 years ago and i know fifty from SwapShop making it extremely hard to achieve this rank
like mentioned this would create tension for swapshop and make the server more of a dictatorship then it already looks like on the outer shell
It really has no purpose if you truly think about it (since all it seems to be is a label)
this would also probably push some people away from tf2ss

EDIT: another con would be that since application signups have been terminated indefinitely their would be no way to sign up without hassle.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 09:50:38 PM by Steven_Works( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) »
unless your living the way you want to, their is no reason to live~Hunter Williams 2017

Offline Peter Capaldi's Peter Capaldi

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 10:46:14 PM »
I voted no. I like the whole concept but I really don't think we have enough people around to make this a reality. I think we should keep this sort of idea on the back burner. It's not a bad idea and it could be used in the future. Besides, we could probably take care of the all of the cons and nonsense with a little clever thinking.

As members and admins, I think one of our focuses should remain in advertising the forums. We're already advertising it on the player's GUI and, I hope, by word. So maybe we'll get some more people or maybe we won't get more people. ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 10:59:19 PM by Lord Waldemart »
~

Offline FAP GOD

• °
  • Forum Poster
    • Google Backwards
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 08:11:56 AM »
As members and admins, I think one of our focuses should remain in advertising the forums. We're already advertising it on the player's GUI and, I hope, by word. So maybe we'll get some more people or maybe we won't get more people. ;)
I think what we should do to achieve that is remove !report and instead make people post to the forums but i doubt that would be helpful in the long run
unless your living the way you want to, their is no reason to live~Hunter Williams 2017

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 04:47:14 PM »
I think what we should do to achieve that is remove !report and instead make people post to the forums but i doubt that would be helpful in the long run

Ya, removing it wouldn't help too much. It's been a long time since I've used the command. Does the command say anything about the forums after a player uses it? I don't see the harm in a little forum encouragement through the /report command.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:48:54 PM by Lord Waldemart »
~

Offline FAP GOD

• °
  • Forum Poster
    • Google Backwards
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 04:07:34 AM »
Ya, removing it wouldn't help too much. It's been a long time since I've used the command. Does the command say anything about the forums after a player uses it? I don't see the harm in a little forum encouragement through the /report command.
[/quote]
agreeing with peter on this but with my own opinions, for example what it the hell do we have a !report command in game when we have a perfectly good (even better in my opinion) reporting/admin abuse (AA) system on the forums? What's next a way to sign up for admin-ship on the forums in game?

Offline Psy

• Butt Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Master
  • I'm retarded.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 05:16:40 AM »
What you don't understand is that a forum is an old way of discussing topics with random people. It's old school and not many people in your generation can understand and memorize the functions of a forum. The forum is useful for acquiring information and discussing issues when needed. It shouldn't be required for everyone to take 5 minutes to go on the forum just to make a report. The ingame /report system is so that players can quickly contact admins for assistance. As for admin applications, we look over them very thoroughly and therefore they are required to be submitted out of the game. Hope you can understand that.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:25:34 AM by Psykotik »
AFK like JFK

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 01:59:26 PM »
What you don't understand is that a forum is an old way of discussing topics with random people. It's old school and not many people in your generation can understand and memorize the functions of a forum. The forum is useful for acquiring information and discussing issues when needed. It shouldn't be required for everyone to take 5 minutes to go on the forum just to make a report. The ingame /report system is so that players can quickly contact admins for assistance. As for admin applications, we look over them very thoroughly and therefore they are required to be submitted out of the game. Hope you can understand that.

How can a whole generation not know or learn how to use or go on forums and stuff? It's kind of like saying, "Oh, those kids and teens can't write full sentences when they text each other so therefore all hope is lost. Their generation and the proceeding will probably be illiterate." Who the heck are we? Nineties Nick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pa6SGYWADU

But I guess I shouldn't question what you and I have experienced. We really haven't seen a lot of people get on these forums and dedicate some of their spare time to hanging out and having some serious discussion. :P So I guess the generation can't, won't or doesn't want to use the forums. Eeehhh? :-\

Wanna know something really funny? I just bought a game and forum usage is encouraged to thrive in the multiplayer. The game was also released last year. Weird, right? ;D
~

Offline Psy

• Butt Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Master
  • I'm retarded.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 03:57:01 PM »
My point isn't that a whole generation is "too dumb" to use a forum. It is however that a lot of people nowadays do not understand how to use a forum. There are a lot of applicants that come on here and they can barely figure out how to make proper applications. And I'm not talking about grammatical errors either. We've also had some past admins who couldn't navigate this place and they've been here for a long time. Personally, I'm surprised they were even able to put up an app. Even I had a hard time figuring out how forums work when I first started. It was apparently a rule to go on the forums daily and I didn't want to get demoted by Knife. One last thing I'd like to point out is that a forum isn't all that appealing either. Sure there's people like us that go on the forums everyday, but we're just a select few.

Bottom line: Forums is old school, not many people in this generation can understand it nor find it appealing, and it would be a hassle for everyone to report rulebreakers if the ingame /report command was removed for the sake of more forum involvement.
AFK like JFK

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 04:20:59 PM »
Even I had a hard time figuring out how forums work when I first started.

Well, I guess I really can't speak. I may just be a special little dandelion who got lucky with something pretty trivial. I can understand that when you put into your perspective. It's not the whole "this generation is dumb" nonsense. It's just the whole learning curve. I've used forums before I came to SwapShop and I had been using forums for a good year or so. Heck, my first exposure to forums was a really long time ago. So were the SwapShop forums your first time on any forum?

I still don't know if I would say this generation, in a sort of majority context, can't understand or doesn't want anything to do with forums. While I'm willing to say our forums are pretty old school, I don't think forums, in a general sense, are out dated. But hey! Making things easier, faster and more convenient for people is cool. The stuff we do and the stuff we have works. ;)

it would be a hassle for everyone to report rulebreakers if the ingame /report command was removed for the sake of more forum involvement.

I totally agree. A report on the forums should be more drawn out and thorough. The report command is nice, quick and in-game. It would definitely be a hassle, but more importantly, it would be a learning curve. :P

In fact, I would go so far to say a forced "learning curve" may be a more fitting definition for that sort of circumstance. It would be ten times better for someone to willingly learn than to have it forced on them.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 04:23:35 PM by Lord Waldemart »
~

Offline mia

• TF2SS's Little Pwincess~
  • Server Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Bunny is my happiness. <3
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 04:31:49 PM »