• April 25, 2024, 11:24:04 AM

Author Topic: A New Argument and a New Vision  (Read 6448 times)

Offline Peter Capaldi's Peter Capaldi

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
A New Argument and a New Vision
« on: January 27, 2017, 11:53:09 PM »
In all seriousness, I wasn't too happy with the admin quota change. Eer... What did Sipow once say?

No admin is useless. Everybody on our staff list is willing to do the job. Some are more active than others, yes, but everyone is willing to do what they need. I don't see any possible demotions in the future, for there is no reason to. Everyone's job is the same here, we all just approach it differently. That's the beauty of working as a team.
http://tf2swapshop.com/forum/index.php?topic=2206.0

Hm. Sounds like a good team. I don't know why we want to accept more admins when the head administration found a limit to be sufficient. Granted, the limit could be used as an excellent security feature. But what also comes with the limit is implications and other functions. Pros and cons are typically weighted heavily in the head administration and in the general administration. You guys aren't dummies in that respect. But that's not the genuine question.

This is the genuine question: have the apps only reopened for the sake of busy work? It seems like it since we have over two thousand denied applications. Most applications suck on the first few goes and most people just give up due to a learning curve. I'm surprised that I haven't noticed more members on the forums other than ANIMOO. In addition, I think we've seen recent applicants apply numerous times before. What are they doing in regards to their forum status?

With the number of admins that were recently cut or marked retired, I would like to think that less is more. Head administration is doin' pretty well with that concept. I would also like it think that if a lot of people think they have the skills to give what it takes to be an administrator, then need to start buckling up to pursue a position in administration. If they're not going to buckle up, then they need to start at the grass roots level either in character or membership.

I suppose a new question should be in pursuit. How are we going to entice people, preferably applicants, to gain a grass roots foundation through membership on these forums? 'Cause any potential asset is a gain for SwapShop. I firmly believe that the assets SwapShop needs are outstanding members. I think we may have a lot of members that could be outstanding.

Often times I think we find most applicants to either be lacking a requirement, a skill, or a sample of integrity. What I don't think we're considering is their dedication to their membership as a SwapShop'r and how far they want to demonstrate that dedication. This is something I think an application can't simply show with a number or rate of hours, days, minutes, or weeks. Yes, those statistics help and yes those numbers actually mean something. But I don't believe they should be a driving factor in determining someone's dedication.

I propose a new amendment to the application template or set of requirements. Applicants must have a certain amount of posts within non-game related boards, a certain number of hours, a low forum level, a different set of statistics or all the above. In addition, I would also like to propose that the entire administration take time to reflect and determine a fraction person's integrity through his time period.

I'm not in favor of spam but this idea will become a spam incentive to those without the character to abide by such standards. In addition, I believe such an argument is valid yet evasive. It's your job to clean up spam. Yes, you don't have to like doing it but it's your job. Sure, we can go the "path of least resistance" and say we want to reduce the amount of spam pushed to the site. I know you guys get notifications when posts pop up here and there. I know you may find this annoying but I don't care if you're annoyed. If you're not getting an ample amount of notification or if you're not able to queue notifications, disable them, or figure out something clever to make them bearable, then something is wrong.

Money is no object when you have people like Hades who have the skills to either find out how modify the site or to just do it. Heck, I at least know a thing or two about coding. I'm here to help as well. I know "if" is also experienced in JavaScript. Who doesn't? "If's" signature sort of gives it away.

In addition, we have new and potential horizons in sight with TF2C servers. That's being decided by the administration. I'm surprised Death hasn't been clued in on the topic by now. Keep in mind that if SwapShop does get TF2Classic servers, then, in the long run, work is going to be much harder than right now. I'll would also be working instead of writing. At least I would try to help out with such a project.

~

Offline mia

• TF2SS's Little Pwincess~
  • Server Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Bunny is my happiness. <3
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Re: A New Argument and a New Vision
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 05:53:38 AM »
Where's the YouTube link though?
Tiny Baby Legs

Offline Peter Capaldi's Peter Capaldi

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 01:21:09 PM »
Where's the YouTube link though?

Whoops! I forgot to find one. Lemme get one for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyxkODGdp1E
~

Offline theSipow

• Cum Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Jai Geru Deva Om
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 10:30:21 AM »