• April 17, 2024, 08:37:08 PM

Author Topic: Administration Quiz  (Read 6100 times)

Offline Peter Capaldi's Peter Capaldi

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Administration Quiz
« on: March 07, 2017, 10:24:11 PM »
Quote from: Psykotik
« Reply #198 on: Tuesday March 7 at 08:15:32 PM »

Changes to the Server Administrator position have been implemented.

- Accepted applicants will be given the Trial Server Administrator position for 1 month.

- On the 4th week of the applicant's first month on the job, he or she will be required to take a small quiz.

- The quiz will determine the applicant's eligibility to remain as a staff member. The passing grade is 80%.
http://tf2swapshop.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.msg15655;boardseen#new

I appreciate the effort but this is a little much. You're asking a bunch of teens, mind you 16 years old or potentially younger, to take a "small" quiz. Most of them can barely make an app. There's either a lot of tweaking that needs to be done on this concept or you've gone slightly mad. I've suggested some mad stuff but this is probably worse than most- if not all- of my poor suggestions combined.

Sure, make it difficult to get into the administration but you don't need an arbitrary quiz. You've already brought admin apps back and now you've done this. This is just making more busy work for yourselves than ensuring staff loyalty, integrity, and security. I'm not even sure if this quiz should be easy or hard. This is just sort of messed up. Pardon me for this ridiculousness but I think you're getting too "academic" and "perfectionist" in your overall work ethic. I'm not going to lie, I just re-read that last sentence and it seems little weird for even me to notice that. The heck's going on with you? ???

I just entirely disagree with this particular action; the whole ethic thing is questionable at worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUgbqGSGMJY
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:26:39 PM by Peter Capaldi's Peter Capaldi »
~

Offline theSipow

• Cum Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Jai Geru Deva Om
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Re: Administration Quiz
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 10:45:00 PM »
Nah it works fine.
\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_(  ̿  ̿  ̿  ̿°̿̿ ̿ ̿  ̿ ͜ʖ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿°̿  ̿  ̿)_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
i blame sipow

Offline Psy

• Butt Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Master
  • I'm retarded.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 11:24:59 PM »
Let's not jump into conclusions here, Peter.

First off, you're already assuming the worst in these new changes. You don't even know how the system works and why it was even implemented. You're already criticizing the system and yet you haven't even seen it in action. And you won't ever see it in action unless you actually become a staff member.

Second, this new system isn't "too 'academic' and 'perfectionist,'" it is just a short quiz that covers the fundamentals of server administration based on our rules and guidelines. This isn't really something that applicants have to study for or devote much time into. And no, I am not allowed to disclose any information regarding the contents of the quiz.

Third, your first paragraph makes it sound like you're saying that teens are incapable of taking quizzes. As if writing an application and taking a quiz can only be done by really smart people.

Fourth, this system was implemented as an extra layer of security against applicants who just say what we want to see on their application. For far too long, we have gotten incompetent staff members who only got in because they wrote their app based on what we want them to say. This means that they could've simply asked their admin friends for any form of help or by other means. Taking this quiz is literally just a small portion of the promotion process. Everything else is smooth and easy.

Lastly, I don't see how this is making anything harder for anyone. It's a short and simple quiz. When an applicant is promoted, they are taught everything they need to know. The quiz determines if someone is really fit for the job. I don't see anything unethical about that.

If I was unclear about anything, let me know.
AFK like JFK

Offline Lunarium

• High Tier Trader
  • Staff Trainer
  • Forum Master
  • Your Deadly skill is jogging? Mine is Murdering.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 12:13:28 AM »
To also further support the topic, the quiz is fairly easy.

Also as stated, it's fairly basic/short and ensures a staff members knowledge of their position.

They also are taking it at the end of their 4 weeks of being a trial Administrator. This gives them plenty of time to become familiar with everything they need to know for this quiz. It's nothing to study if you're already following the proper orders.

We also need staff that understand their position rather than people who don't. Like Psy said, saying something that we like on an application is one thing. But knowing the true basics is another. It's surely nothing difficult.

Your input is greatly appreciated, but the systems implemented are well thought and discussed.

This system will contain flaws and be tweaked as it goes along. Just like the beginning of everything.

Overall, everything will be fine. It's not all over the top as you would think.

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 07:32:24 PM »
To also further support the topic, the quiz is fairly easy.

Also as stated, it's fairly basic/short and ensures a staff members knowledge of their position.

They also are taking it at the end of their 4 weeks of being a trial Administrator. This gives them plenty of time to become familiar with everything they need to know for this quiz. It's nothing to study if you're already following the proper orders.

We also need staff that understand their position rather than people who don't. Like Psy said, saying something that we like on an application is one thing. But knowing the true basics is another. It's surely nothing difficult.

Your input is greatly appreciated, but the systems implemented are well thought and discussed.

This system will contain flaws and be tweaked as it goes along. Just like the beginning of everything.

Overall, everything will be fine. It's not all over the top as you would think.

Thank you for respectfully elaborating, Lunarium.
~

Offline =NbN= Nukebirb

• Forum Visitor
  • Star Control II Enthusiast / Pkunk Main
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 07:52:32 PM »
Personally, I think this is a very good idea, as, based on my time as an admin/co-owner of a Gmod TTT server, there are way too many people who get admin privileges in almost any server and don't have a clue as to how they should actually use them. It eventually got to the point where I had to do a google search for all the administrative commands available with the admin toolkit we used on our server and post a cheat sheet of sorts in the admin/mod section of the forum.

Offline Ἀΐδης

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Master
  • What is it you truly seek to obtain?
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 05:46:35 PM »
Quote from: Psykotik
« Reply #198 on: Tuesday March 7 at 08:15:32 PM »

Changes to the Server Administrator position have been implemented.

- Accepted applicants will be given the Trial Server Administrator position for 1 month.

- On the 4th week of the applicant's first month on the job, he or she will be required to take a small quiz.

- The quiz will determine the applicant's eligibility to remain as a staff member. The passing grade is 80%.
http://tf2swapshop.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.msg15655;boardseen#new

I appreciate the effort but this is a little much. You're asking a bunch of teens, mind you 16 years old or potentially younger, to take a "small" quiz. Most of them can barely make an app. There's either a lot of tweaking that needs to be done on this concept or you've gone slightly mad. I've suggested some mad stuff but this is probably worse than most- if not all- of my poor suggestions combined.

Sure, make it difficult to get into the administration but you don't need an arbitrary quiz. You've already brought admin apps back and now you've done this. This is just making more busy work for yourselves than ensuring staff loyalty, integrity, and security. I'm not even sure if this quiz should be easy or hard. This is just sort of messed up. Pardon me for this ridiculousness but I think you're getting too "academic" and "perfectionist" in your overall work ethic. I'm not going to lie, I just re-read that last sentence and it seems little weird for even me to notice that. The heck's going on with you? ???

I just entirely disagree with this particular action; the whole ethic thing is questionable at worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUgbqGSGMJY

Let me explain the idea behind this concept as it was my idea.

Why this:
I did research into other communities to see how they handled not only players but their staff as well. I found one unique community in the fact that they didn't immeditly promote someone to server administrator right off the bat. They instead went through "Training". IF they felt that at anytime during the training that they wouldn't make it, they didn't become staff. I like this idea as I saw the pro's to it.

My Reasoning:
When we promote someone to administrator(in the past) they got everything right away. Every permission, access, etc.. But guess what? They had no clue as to how the handle the situations that occur on our servers. As such tremendous amounts of mistakes were made such as but not limited to: Admin abuse, mistaken bans, mistaken mutes, etc... The reason this training was implemented is so that even someone without experience would be able to understand our rules, procedures, tools,and methods we communicate that are necessary for doing our daily jobs/roles. This way we can train the applicant on what they need to know, how to do it, and most importantly when to do it. The quiz that you jumped to conclusions about was meant to make sure the applicant was not only serious about the position and wouldn't give up easily, but to make sure they were paying attention as well. We believe that through this training process, we can have more knowledgable staff members that will be less likely to abuse. After all, you did make a post talking about how new admins shouldn't be abusing their powers and shouldn't be expected to mess up.

New admins are expected to mess up. However, the fact that this is expected is incredibly stupid. If we denied new forum members the ability to apply and if we moved towards a "less is more" mentality with the admin population, then this admin abuse wouldn't be an issue.No matter how experienced or young, admins from ANY online establishment should NOT have the ability, right or conscience to abuse their powers. EVER. This is the kind of stuff that makes me say, "SwapShop sucks."

So my question for you peter is, why is it when we create a system to help prevent and help solve the present problems in SwapShop, you are against it?

Sincerly,
Hades

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 06:49:17 PM »
Alright, I'll be frank. You guys are just being jerks. Go ahead and be idiots and just mock me even more. Have your laughs. How dare I have an opinion. How dare I not know about the system. "Look guys! He's slipped up! What a hilarious moment! Let's make fun of him! Let's make him leave! Isn't he just the dumbest guy on here?" Guess what? You have no idea how much I valued your input, your thoughts, and your feelings. I've been pushed over the edge and I've lost all confidence in your ability to listen to your community. Man, I was an idiot to think highly of any of you guys.

You've got a new kiss-up applicant, a disrespecting head admin, a man who cares only about his reputation among average TF2 YouTube stars, a girl who can't say one good thing about anyone, and an administration fixed on "Administration First." You also get extraordinarily dumb applicants. Psy can't respect anyone, Lunarium is a pretentious pseudo-philosophical kiss-up, Spykotik only cares about herself,  Sipow is a just Psy's tool, Hades is a bisexual nut, BloodRain doesn't want to confront his emotions and he can't trust anyone, and I bet you Death gets drunk every weekend. I'm too emotional and I have nothing; I have no one. All I have is my broken family and a few keyboards.

You're administration is like a man who never listens to his wife. You hear what she says and acknowledges her words but you never listen. Go to your friends to manipulate them and convince them that I'm wrong. But none of that matters. I know the truth and you know it too. Keep your fantasy if you please.

Let me get some apologies off my chest. I'm sorry I'm just not as deceptively clever as you guys. I'm sorry I actually have an opinion. I'm sorry that I wanted you guys to do progressive things to improve this institution. I'm sorry that I abstain from power. I'm sorry that I tell you the truth. I'm sorry that I actually have a set of emotions. And above all else, I'm sorry that I couldn't create friendships between any of you guys. It's a little hard to do anything when no one wants to cooperate with you.

Attitude reflects leadership. I'm the crowd and you are the leaders. So what does that say about you? Huh? What does that say about you? But look, I'm just a big hypocrite, right? It's not like I know anything about you guys. Just keep trying to push me over the edge.

ACTUALLY READ THAT. READ IT. LISTEN WHAT I'M SAYING. I'M DONE WITH YOUR MANIPULATION. YOU WIN. I'M OUT OF HERE.
~

Offline theSipow

• Cum Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Jai Geru Deva Om
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 07:16:56 PM »
I don't know. You seem to be trying to push us over the edge just because you can't have it your way. Nobody is being disrespectful but you. We aren't saying your opinion doesn't matter, but you always make it a bigger deal than what it actually is. If you could just be more patient and respectful with our decisions, and learn to understand us and our methods, your point of view could potentially change. You seem to just think that because you post a lot you have power, which is not true.

All and all, you have been trying to manipulate us, but fail at every attempt. As a last resort you now play the victim card as well as the "I give up" signal. Which I come to say, anyone who gives up on something will try again on something else.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback.

Topic locked. Enough has been said.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 07:32:09 PM by Sipow »
\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_(  ̿  ̿  ̿  ̿°̿̿ ̿ ̿  ̿ ͜ʖ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿°̿  ̿  ̿)_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
i blame sipow