• March 29, 2024, 06:51:42 AM

Author Topic: 16+ On mic only rule PLEASE  (Read 4877 times)

• Forum Visitor
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
16+ On mic only rule PLEASE
« on: December 23, 2017, 02:23:08 PM »
One of the biggest issues on swapshop servers, especially since winter break has started, is immature and shrill kids dominating the voice chat, making it impossible to get a word in edgewise or enjoy spending time on the server. Clientside muting them only does so much, and staff leniency towards these kids bending the "one at a time on the mic" rule has gone too far. In my opinion, a blanket rule against anyone suspected of being under 16 based on loud and immature voice chat use would drastically improve the playing experience on swap shop servers for everyone.

Offline Ἀΐδης

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Master
  • What is it you truly seek to obtain?
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Re: 16+ On mic only rule PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 05:29:44 PM »
Clientside muting them only does so much, and staff leniency towards these kids bending the "one at a time on the mic" rule has gone too far. In my opinion, a blanket rule against anyone suspected of being under 16 based on loud and immature voice chat use would drastically improve the playing experience on swap shop servers for everyone.

I can understand your frustration, however, the suggestion you have made would make it rather difficult for multiple reasons.

• This type of suggestion has been done in the past and had little to no effect. Having a rule limiting to who can be on the mic at one time can tarnish a reputation and prevent players from joining the servers.
  • Even those who are above or meet that age requirement do not act their age. On multiple occasions we have had adults who are drunk, stoned, venting, and even just for the fun of it: spamming chat or mic, harassing, and threatening others, etc...
  • A plugin that allowed user votes to be made was implemented at one time. It allowed players to vote together to either ban,kick, or mute someone. This was heavily abused by the players to the point that it had to be removed.
  • Preventing those under the age of 16 from speaking would effect a majority of the Team Fortress 2 community.
Please do not get me wrong, I understand that when attempting to speak to someone, even your team, being drowned out by the sound of multiple people on the mic can damper one's experience. The reasons above do not mean we do not care.

Some things to take note of:
  • Our report feature allows you to send a report to all online admins.
  • Should you disagree with how an administrator conducted themselves, there are options as well. These include: reporting the administrator, and reporting the player.
  • Further help expanding on our rules by submitting feedback (much like how you have done). This allows us to see more from a player's perspective and see if there is something that has not yet been accounted for.
  • The community for TF2 is always changing and evolving.
  • How an administrator handles a situation might be affected by: information he/she already knows, personal experiences, and the current situation. Please keep in mind that an administrator might be taking something into account that you have not that decides whether a punishment is/isn't issued.

Hades

Offline Lunarium

• High Tier Trader
  • Staff Trainer
  • Forum Master
  • Your Deadly skill is jogging? Mine is Murdering.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 03:34:25 PM »
Something to take note:

An Administrator cannot read minds. If someone is using the mic for an extended period of time just talking or ranting on, it happens. One cannot know you're going to use the mic unless you voice it. Once there is interruption issues or a situation where you wish to have the mic, an Administrator would happily step in.

Also like Hades had suggested, you can use the "/report" feature to be able to send out a message to all online Admins to aid in dealing with the situation.

Offline Cl0udZone

• Confused boi
  • Forum Visitor
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 08:27:55 PM »
Quote from:  link=topic=2908.msg17984#msg17984 date=1514064188
One of the biggest issues on swapshop servers, especially since winter break has started, is immature and shrill kids dominating the voice chat, making it impossible to get a word in edgewise or enjoy spending time on the server. Clientside muting them only does so much, and staff leniency towards these kids bending the "one at a time on the mic" rule has gone too far. In my opinion, a blanket rule against anyone suspected of being under 16 based on loud and immature voice chat use would drastically improve the playing experience on swap shop servers for everyone.
this maybe a good rule but there is such a fact of you client side muting
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way

Offline Lunarium

• High Tier Trader
  • Staff Trainer
  • Forum Master
  • Your Deadly skill is jogging? Mine is Murdering.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 08:31:14 AM »
Hasn't been back to make a reply. Points were made clear.

Topic Locked.