• April 29, 2024, 08:35:37 AM

Author Topic: the broken sock - Game Server Admin Application  (Read 11148 times)

Offline Ren

• Forum Visitor
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
the broken sock - Game Server Admin Application
« on: March 06, 2016, 08:33:20 PM »
1. Which position do you wish to apply for?
Game Server Admin

2. Do you have a microphone that you are willing to use?
Yes

3. Age:

4. What Time Zone do you live in?
eastern standard time (USA)

5. List and describe any previous supervisory, administrative or management experience,­ in or out of the game:
I haven't been an admin for any tf2 servers yet, only thing think is worth mentioning is that I have led some smaller communities on several social media sights (roughly 4000 members). That being said I am used to babysitting people and making sure people adhere to any rules/guidelines so if that is a problem I can deal with it.

6. What are your goals in this community - or, why do you want to hold this position?
I would just like to help moderate your servers since I spend a majority of my time on them, I see a fair amount of problems that go unnoticed in my time on there.

7. How much time will you be able to spend:
A. On the servers?
Usually 11 hours a day if needed between 5pm-3am I usually only spend 4 hours a day on TF2, but my schedule is very flexible.

B. On the forums?
Anytime between 8am and 3am

8. How long have you been playing on our group of servers?
I have spent roughly 300 hours your servers and I merely have 500 hours on TF2.

9. List a reputation thread here (your SteamRep URL and/or other reputation threads):
https://steamrep.com/search?q=http%3A%2F%2Fsteamcommunity.com%2Fid%2Fthebrokensock%2F

10. If you have alternate accounts, list any alternative accounts that you own:

11. Describe a time during which you lost control of your emotions:
Last time I remember losing control of my emotions was when I let some petty insult affect me on a personal level merely because it was delivered from someone I previously thought quite highly of, all I did in response was remove myself from the area and stay silent for an hour at least.

12. What do you consider in yourself to be strengths? What do you consider in yourself to be weaknesses?
I feel as if I am not well equipped for being harsh to people, I have a hard time being aggressive or wrathful to others, even when/if it is necessary, although I am very patient with dealing with those others would deem "annoying" and I try to solve most problems as peacefully as possible.

13. Assess these attributes from 1 to 10 based on how you see yourself:
  • Logical: 8
  • Patient: 10
  • Reactive: 6
  • Creative: 6
  • Polite: 8
  • Reasonable: 8
  • Objective: 5
  • Perceptive: 6
  • Compassionate: 8
  • Troubleshooter: 6

14. After you become an admin, how would you react to these situations below:
A: How would you deal with a person who was making racist comments?
Burden them with details as to why it was wrong of them to say such things, giving the typical "we should be past it already" speech, but making sure to keep it short, and warn them with the possibility to being muted next time they cause a problem if the rules allow it.

B: A group of players are offended by remarks that another player made, but you yourself do not find them to be offensive. How would you respond?
Ask them kindly to "cut it out" and maybe warn them with the possibility of getting muted for a short period of time depending on what was said and who was offended/upset.

C: How would you deal with players who micspam?
Ask them to cut it out, if they do not respond in an allotted amount of time I would temporarily mute them if they are causing a problem, after looking at any rules that may exist.

D: Another TF2SS admin is exploiting their powers in game; what will you do about it?
Remind them of any terms or rules that may mention something about admin abuse and kindly ask them to cut it out, if they refuse I would most likely send a report if possible and do something to counteract their actions in game if necessary.

E: What would you do when answering a report that [username] is speed hacking on one of our servers?
I would test the validity of the claim, looking for any evidence and or witnesses who could verify it and possibly seeing for myself next time the person in question is on the server.

F: A regular user threatens to ban another player if they do not comply with rules that do not exist. What will you do about it?
Inform the other player that the user is not an admin and if necessary adhere to any rules that apply to this situation.

G: A group of enemy players dominate you, ignoring everyone else and changing teams if you join the team they are on, killing only you over and over again. What will you do about it?
I would most likely stay in spawn and taunt spam, or activate  friendly mode and do nothing to further invoke their "wrath".

H: How do you deal with a player who comments publicly that: you are an asshole, the server sucks ass, and continues to insult anyone who kills them with profanity & by screaming on the mic?
Try to reason with him if possible, if that fails I may see about muting him if the rest of the server, or the rules support that.

I: A regular player on our server says that they will offer free godmode for anyone who trades a hat to them. What will you do about it?
Inform the other players that it is a scam and warn the person who offered the deal, I may see to any guidelines left for me for punishment options if there are any, I would also kindly inform everyone of the "godmode" available in the shop.

J: A player who bought the Headless Horsemann perk from the shop complains after another player slays him/her. What do you tell the slayed Headless Horsemann player?
That they probably should have been more careful or that they shouldn't have bought it if they weren't willing to die/lose it, and remind them that they could always afk on the server and earn credits and if possible transfer some of my own credits to them.

Offline Psy

• Butt Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Master
  • I'm retarded.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Re: the broken sock - Game Server Admin Application
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 09:40:55 PM »
When did you start playing on our servers?
AFK like JFK

Offline BloodRain

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Hero
  • "Even lies contain some truth."
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 09:42:01 PM »
I appriciate the honesty in parts of your application.

What would help would be if you asked some of your friends to write a referral for you down in a reply to this application.

We'll see how your app will do after the following week.

Blood

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:44:30 PM by BloodRain »

Offline Ren

• Forum Visitor
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 10:00:49 PM »

I cannot quite recall the exact date but it was sometime in mid-late September or early October of last year.

Offline Psy

• Butt Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Master
  • I'm retarded.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 10:24:26 PM »

I cannot quite recall the exact date but it was sometime in mid-late September or early October of last year.

Thank you for the response.
AFK like JFK

Offline Ren

• Forum Visitor
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 10:47:26 PM »
I appriciate the honestly in parts of your application.

What would help would be if you asked some of your friends to write a referral for you down in a reply to this application.

Blood

Thanks, this may seem like a bad question but can I get a referral from any of my friends or do they have to be affiliated with TF2SS in any way?

Offline Ren

• Forum Visitor
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 10:48:35 PM »

Thank you for the response.

You're welcome, sometimes I forget...

Offline BloodRain

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Hero
  • "Even lies contain some truth."
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 10:53:45 PM »

Blood

Thanks, this may seem like a bad question but can I get a referral from any of my friends or do they have to be affiliated with TF2SS in any way?

Anyone (who is not an alt account or family member) that is willing to talk about you here.

Offline mental

• °
  • Forum Hero
  • Whoever threw that paper, your moms a hoe.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 11:02:55 PM »
This looks very good, Great job and Good luck! :D

Offline Ren

• Forum Visitor
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 05:13:52 AM »
This looks very good, Great job and Good luck! :D

Thanks, I might need it.

Offline Ren

• Forum Visitor
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 05:16:38 AM »

Blood

Anyone (who is not an alt account or family member) that is willing to talk about you here.

Alright then, seems simple enough, thanks.

Offline Death™

• King Of Death
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Master
  • The Unholy King Of Death
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 04:17:22 PM »
13. Assess these attributes from 1 to 10 based on how you see yourself:
Logical: 8
Patient: 10
Reactive: 6
Creative: 6
Polite: 8
Reasonable: 8
Objective: 5
Perceptive: 6
Compassionate: 8
Troubleshooter: 6
Please explain your reasoning behind rating your "Patient" a 10 and your "Objective" a 5.

B: A group of players are offended by remarks that another player made, but you yourself do not find them to be offensive. How would you respond?
Ask them kindly to "cut it out" and maybe warn them with the possibility of getting muted for a short period of time depending on what was said and who was offended/upset.
What if the comments are legitimately not offensive at all but the players keep complaining?

D: Another TF2SS admin is exploiting their powers in game; what will you do about it?
Remind them of any terms or rules that may mention something about admin abuse and kindly ask them to cut it out, if they refuse I would most likely send a report if possible and do something to counteract their actions in game if necessary.
What if they stop admin abusing after your request?

E: What would you do when answering a report that [username] is speed hacking on one of our servers?
I would test the validity of the claim, looking for any evidence and or witnesses who could verify it and possibly seeing for myself next time the person in question is on the server.
Take into account this scenario: You join a server and find the hacker -- however you're unsure if the person is hacking or not -- in the server you're currently in. What do you do?

F: A regular user threatens to ban another player if they do not comply with rules that do not exist. What will you do about it?
Inform the other player that the user is not an admin and if necessary adhere to any rules that apply to this situation.
What action would you take here?

I: A regular player on our server says that they will offer free godmode for anyone who trades a hat to them. What will you do about it?
Inform the other players that it is a scam and warn the person who offered the deal, I may see to any guidelines left for me for punishment options if there are any, I would also kindly inform everyone of the "godmode" available in the shop.
What if you find a player blatantly trying to scam another player? What would you do in that scenario?

J: A player who bought the Headless Horsemann perk from the shop complains after another player slays him/her. What do you tell the slayed Headless Horsemann player?
That they probably should have been more careful or that they shouldn't have bought it if they weren't willing to die/lose it, and remind them that they could always afk on the server and earn credits and if possible transfer some of my own credits to them.
What if the player keeps complaining regardless of your sympathy for him/her?

Offline Ren

• Forum Visitor
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 06:48:39 PM »
Please explain your reasoning behind rating your "Patient" a 10 and your "Objective" a 5

I typically am quite cool headed and reserved or so I have been told, I struggle to remember times in which I have lost my temper, and as far as objective I am a bit confused about what definition you are using here, I went with the ability to stick to a specified task. I gave myself low ratings because that is how I honestly feel about myself, I don't know if it is completely accurate or not that is hard for me to say because like everyone else I have a first person point of view. If it means lack of biased then I would give myself a 9 maybe, I do not feel morally inclined to judge anyone because I myself am flawed...

What if the comments are legitimately not offensive at all but the players keep complaining

I would try to reason with them, asking them why they are offended by it even though it seems meaningless to me and possibly to others, I would definitely ask the person who offended everyone to stop talking and making things worse as I would try to reason with them. If things went from bad to worse say an aggressive verbal debate between both parties, some people might get muted if they refuse to cooperate, not to be obsessed with muting people but it is just an easy way to remove tension and create temporary peace, maybe even time for either parties to calm down and come to their senses.

What if they stop admin abusing after your request?

In that case I would think all would be well, problem solved, unless it was required of me to report it regardless of the outcome, if that were the case I would report it and I would be sure to tell how long it took them to stop and their attitude they carried when they were confronted.

Take into account this scenario: You join a server and find the hacker -- however you're unsure if the person is hacking or not -- in the server you're currently in. What do you do?

I would carefully observe their actions, and I would be sure to look for similarities between how they move and how one with mods, hacks, or scripters move. I would then try to get more people to verify the claims, after all that I would then make my decision on the punishment IF it was my choice.

What action would you take here?

I would possibly mute the other player to prevent them from lying to anyone else, this would also work to prove their claims as false, showing that they have no authority or responsibility not that it will mean too much.

What if you find a player blatantly trying to scam another player? What would you do in that scenario?

Inform the victim of the scam of the scenario and advise them to exercise caution in the future while trading, I might kick the scammer IF the guidelines allow it.

What if the player keeps complaining regardless of your sympathy for him/her?

I would kindly inform them that their complaining will get them nowhere, if their noise doesn't create a problem for the other players then I would try to fix the situation, perhaps eventually getting a little bit blunt with them, careful not to be rude. If their noise caused a problem for the other players I would give them a couple warnings and still try to fix it, if they do not comply I would have to mute them.

(sorry for the late response)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 07:33:44 PM by the broken sock »

Offline Biscuit

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 07:27:38 PM »

What do you believe is a good representation of the time you've spent doing in the other 200 hours of TF2 when you're not on SwapShop servers?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Ren

• Forum Visitor
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 07:31:14 PM »

What do you believe is a good representation of the time you've spent doing in the other 200 hours of TF2 when you're not on SwapShop servers?

My hours off of your servers have mostly been one a mix of other trade servers and occasionally some valve pub servers or MvM.