• May 02, 2024, 06:42:19 AM

Author Topic: Remember Spy Mains?  (Read 4874 times)

Offline Peter Capaldi's Peter Capaldi

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Remember Spy Mains?
« on: October 07, 2016, 09:08:23 PM »
"THEY-WERE-A-GOOD-BUNCH!"

Who is your favorite Spy main? My two favorite Spy mains have to be Slurgi and White-Rice. I haven't watched a lot of Stabby recently so I really can't say whether I would still consider him to be a candidate for my all-time favorite Spy main. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_NjaH4LKi4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H77zWaPae0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY4fsqdIJnQ
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 08:34:11 PM by Peter Capaldi's Sunglasses »
~

Offline BloodRain

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Hero
  • "Even lies contain some truth."
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Re: Remember Spy Mains?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 12:11:59 AM »
I used to really like Mr. Paladin before he quit (TF2).

Offline Psy

• Butt Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Master
  • I'm retarded.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 12:17:05 AM »

He's actually back. So far he's uploaded How a Spy Thinks #37-39.
AFK like JFK

Offline mental

• °
  • Forum Hero
  • Whoever threw that paper, your moms a hoe.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 12:22:48 AM »
I agree with you, Mr Paladin is an awesome spy main.

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 10:59:44 AM »
Mr. Paladin really grew on me as well. In fact, I learned much more from Mr. P's videos than any other Spy main video. His message is "whatever works and whatever you can get away with."

The only reason why most Spy mains can pull off Trick-Stabs is because they work in certain situations that allow for their execution. They're not just some fancy win button. That's what I really liked about Mr. P. He's simplistic, clear, to the point, and extraordinarily helpful. He's not my favorite, but he sure is my foundation.

What I love about White-Rice is his alternative scout-like style. He doesn't care and he's not afraid to rely on his revolver. Besides, relying on the revolver is typically taboo for a number of reasons... Many Spies just rely on their knife and with good reason too.

The reason why Slurgi takes the cake for me is this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YdtH-cC9M

I tried to base my style off of movement mechanics and principals outlined by Slurgi combined with both the constants and variables I observed on server #08: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjIbM0qe-Wk With a little bit of flare and wannabe Phoon flavor just for looks. :P I also recommend reading The Art of War by Sun Tzu.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:56:00 AM by Peter Capaldi's Sunglasses »
~

Offline Lunarium

• High Tier Trader
  • Staff Trainer
  • Forum Master
  • Your Deadly skill is jogging? Mine is Murdering.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 06:34:54 PM »
*Cough Cough*

Totes not a spy main.

Also on a side note, I work with Mr.Paladin. I knew he was making his way back, but the whole point was because he didn't enjoy making videos anymore. It all felt forced, so he went ahead and started making only the content he WANTED to make.

Paladin still takes the take for my fav spy main to watch. He is so relaxed, explains things well, and gives great situational views and experiences.

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 07:23:44 PM »
*Cough Cough*

Totes not a spy main.

Also on a side note, I work with Mr.Paladin. I knew he was making his way back, but the whole point was because he didn't enjoy making videos anymore. It all felt forced, so he went ahead and started making only the content he WANTED to make.

Paladin still takes the take for my fav spy main to watch. He is so relaxed, explains things well, and gives great situational views and experiences.
Ya, that's pretty typical. People will always get burnt out. ;) Things tend to get forced and unappealing after a while. It's nice to know he's making videos that actually matter to him and make the creation process enjoyable. I used to know a few notable people within gaming communities. Mr. Paladin's videos are an excellent foundation and I applaud this efforts. Seriously, he's one of the many TF2 Youtubers who try to keep the community alive.

When I last watched one of his videos he was treading into more advanced topics. I have no idea what he's focusing on today. I think he's even improved in his newer videos compared to his older videos. Now, whether the mentioned was some forced demonstration is something I'm really not concerned with.

I'm more concerned with the progression of the channel's portrayal and presentation of various skill levels, creative style fabrications, and introduction on the exploration and development of one's own unique utility of the class' greater capabilities. The latter presents a difficult challenge to Spy Youtubers. I typically look to Slurgi and Stabby for this particular interest of mine. Then again, the last video of his I saw, Paladin was picking up momentum in this area. 8)

In addition, I was also interested in the patch notes, news, and comments on those matters from Mr. P. I hope he's still going to expand on those topics. That's something I really enjoyed when I was more immersed in TF2. :)

Here's your daily dose of random Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhOKhJaM1QE
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 05:34:20 PM by Peter Capaldi's Sunglasses »
~