• April 26, 2024, 11:41:41 AM

Author Topic: Forum Features and Functions  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Peter Capaldi's Peter Capaldi

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Forum Features and Functions
« on: September 25, 2016, 01:40:41 PM »
What are some features and functions you would like to see in place here on the SwapShop forums? I know I would love a vote system for individual posts- like a thumbs up or down feature. Through my limited impressions of the Simple Machines forum board creator is that, although it's free, it's also quite rinky-dink.

In addition, I would like to see the forums secured with HTTPS encryption rather than *cringe* the uncertainty of HTTP. Even if I'm not the sharpest cookie there will be someone who is knowledgeable enough to do whatever he, she, or a collective wants to do on the forums. In other words, we should minimize any potential threats while keeping budget in mind. Now, the question we should ask when securing something is not, "who would do this and who's smart enough to figure it out?" But, "what can someone potentially do?" Do not wait until it's too late. There's either never a last minute with this or there's always a last minute. Take it however you want. We gotta be proactive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6tQzMhqhLc

A huge issue here is money. So let's take it step by step and find what we can do to improve the forums without having to spend anything greater than a penny. I'm sure the vote system would be a good step. Assuming Simple Machines already has a feature built in for something like that.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:45:13 PM by Peter Capaldi's Sunglasses »
~

Offline snoogans.

• I fiddle with strings on coated plastic and wood
  • Server Administrator
  • Forum Poster
  • Mr. Slump God
    • My awful site
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Re: Forum Features and Functions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 11:56:40 PM »
Before adding anything, I think we need to clean. It's like trying to put a new bookcase in a room. Clean it out, make space. Thinks we should get rid of or clean up a bit.
I like salt

Offline Peter Capaldi's Peter Capaldi

• Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 06:14:46 PM »
Before adding anything, I think we need to clean. It's like trying to put a new bookcase in a room. Clean it out, make space. Thinks we should get rid of or clean up a bit.
What does SwapShop need cleaning? Forums, rules, people, or servers? What needs to be organized? The latter or something else? What's the combination?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 08:12:19 PM by Peter Capaldi's Sunglasses »
~

Offline Hamtaro

• Server's Hamster
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Master
  • Hamha, how are you?
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 04:40:34 AM »
The combination to life is 42
I don't bite, so feel free to message me if anything.
Hablo español con gran fluidez, asi que deje un mensaje si tienes dudas.