• April 25, 2024, 11:54:41 PM

Author Topic: UnclePanda #TeamCitrus - Game Server Admin Application  (Read 13908 times)

Offline Gummy Bear | Designer

• Forum Visitor
  • Always have a dream and keep it.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
Re: UnclePanda #TeamCitrus - Game Server Admin Application
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 09:28:14 AM »
So what your saying is that if someone thought somebody was hacking and made a report that turned out to be false, you would ban them just because of a false accusation and believed to be lying? Because some players will sometimes honestly think somebody is hacking when they are not, is this wrong in your eyes? To me its just simple human error that is natural to everyone.

Well, now. I've been thinking about this. I wouldn't ban the reporter for what he saw. I will not ban the reporter for his view. If people in the server agrees of what he saw, that means he's telling the truth. But if other people say he's lying, then he'll be banned.
Whatever happens, Surfing is always the best. B)

Offline mia

• TF2SS's Little Pwincess~
  • Server Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Bunny is my happiness. <3
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 12:58:58 PM »
So what your saying is that if someone thought somebody was hacking and made a report that turned out to be false, you would ban them just because of a false accusation and believed to be lying? Because some players will sometimes honestly think somebody is hacking when they are not, is this wrong in your eyes? To me its just simple human error that is natural to everyone.

Well, now. I've been thinking about this. I wouldn't ban the reporter for what he saw. I will not ban the reporter for his view. If people in the server agrees of what he saw, that means he's telling the truth. But if other people say he's lying, then he'll be banned.
I've been trying to keep quiet about this, for reasons one, maybe two admins know? But I can't. Regardless if the reporter is "lying" or not. You don't ever ban them. That's a quick way to instantly get demoted. If the reporter sends a report, thinking someone is hacking, go in a check. If the person that got reported seems fine, let the other admins know and just leave it at that. Don't ban an innocent person because they thought someone was hacking.
Tiny Baby Legs

Offline Psy

• Butt Administrator
  • Head Administrator
  • Forum Master
  • I'm retarded.
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 01:52:24 PM »
Panda,

Everyone interprets their environment differently. Punishing a player for honestly believing that someone is hacking is both abusive and unnecessary.

If you were to call 911 because you suspected your neighbor to be committing an illegal crime, and he turned out to be innocent, do you think it's fair for the cop to arrest you and put you in jail for a day?

The purpose of the report bot is so that players can send reports if they believe that someone is breaking a rule. Administrators are the ones who have to gather the evidence before taking actions against players that are being reported.
AFK like JFK

Offline Sleezy Genie (Impersonated)

• Kekugee - Kekistan Refugee
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Visitor
  • Braindead Memer
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 02:02:27 PM »
Someone abusing the report bot is a different question, and even then they wouldn't be banned they just get a ban from the report bot and cannot use it. You seem to fail to understand what question is being asked here or the fact that your response to banning someone simply because they thought someone else was hacking makes no logical sense what-so-ever.
Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life… He had such a knowledge of the dark side, he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying.

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Visitor
  • Braindead Memer
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 02:05:15 PM »
What if I were to tell you that banning is a last resort?

I'll ban him until he shows me evidence of this situation. If he does show proof, I'll unban him.

Let me refer back to above that BANNING IS A LAST / AFTER MULTIPLE INSTANCES RESORT. Not to mention the fact that we have to gather the evidence if someone is doing this or that, not have them show us evidence since any hacker or rule breaker is obviously going to say they aren't and can easily falsify information.
Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life… He had such a knowledge of the dark side, he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying.

• Forum Visitor
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 02:05:39 PM »
Someone abusing the report bot is a different question, and even then they wouldn't be banned they just get a ban from the report bot and cannot use it. You seem to fail to understand what question is being asked here or the fact that your response to banning someone simply because they thought someone else was hacking makes no logical sense what-so-ever.

Here's what I was trying to say. If someone made a report about a hacker, I would come in. If the Person that is being reported is playing legit, and the reporter swears he's telling the truth. I'll look for evidence of the Person that is being reported.

• Forum Visitor
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 02:07:21 PM »

Here's what I was trying to say. If someone made a report about a hacker, I would come in. If the Person that is being reported is playing legit, and the reporter swears he's telling the truth. I'll look for evidence of the Person that is being reported.

I'll also won't punish the player until it comes to a conclusion.

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Visitor
  • Braindead Memer
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 02:11:10 PM »

Smashing Head Against Keyboard
Someone sending in a report and being wrong is different than someone spamming or purposefully sending fake reports, it would be quite obvious too. Anyone can think anyone else is hacking if they are a good player. You do not punish the reporter unless it's obvious spam. You come in and gather evidence immediately, you don't ask whats happening or say you're an admin because otherwise they will stop hacking. You come in, you look for evidence and watch the person, and if they aren't hacking, you leave. You never punish the reporter unless they are spamming/abusing the report bot with mutliple reports or trash reports, and even then you give them a report ban.

• Forum Visitor
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 02:14:39 PM »

Someone sending in a report and being wrong is different than someone spamming or purposefully sending fake reports, it would be quite obvious too. Anyone can think anyone else is hacking if they are a good player. You do not punish the reporter unless it's obvious spam. You come in and gather evidence immediately, you don't ask whats happening or say you're an admin because otherwise they will stop hacking. You come in, you look for evidence and watch the person, and if they aren't hacking, you leave. You never punish the reporter unless they are spamming/abusing the report bot with mutliple reports or trash reports, and even then you give them a report ban.

That's what I mean though... Sorry for the confusion.

Offline mia

• Server Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 02:17:23 PM »

That's not how you were making it seem. It still sounded like you were going to ban the reporter either way.
Tiny Baby Legs

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Visitor
  • Braindead Memer
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »

Anything you've said doesn't sound anything like what I've said though, if you meant to say that it would've sound at least similar. Your solutions and responses have all be kind of extreme, illogical, or a mess of details and changing mind on how you would handle it. You've been talking about banning, asking the person who reported, asking the server, making your presence known, and most likely compromising your ability to gather proper evidence. You've most likely gotten questions mixed up and now I have no clue what your actual answer could ever have been or how you would truly respond since it's changed after every time we rephrase or to match whatever we have just said is a proper response.

I'm just going to step back from this as any response you give at this point is compromised from your confusion and constant changing responses. That and I really have no clue what else to say, explain, or do so.

• Forum Visitor
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 02:23:41 PM »

That's not how you were making it seem. It still sounded like you were going to ban the reporter either way.

Well, I must have misunderstood. What I meant to say was if the reporter makes a report of a hacker and it turns out false, I would warn the reporter. I didn't mean to say I would ban him. My apologies.

Offline mia

• Server Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 02:28:59 PM »

Well, I must have misunderstood. What I meant to say was if the reporter makes a report of a hacker and it turns out false, I would warn the reporter. I didn't mean to say I would ban him. My apologies.
No need to warn. Check the report. Simple right? Can't be confusing. Go in server, watch the person that was reported. Don't see anything, let it be known in report bot. Then you can either stay and play or leave to somewhere else. That's up to you. It's literally that simple.
Tiny Baby Legs

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Visitor
  • Braindead Memer
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 02:29:44 PM »
Ban and warn are very different words in meaning and spelling. Not knowing the difference between the two before making an application is not a good thing either, or that it took you this long to figure out. And even then you still seem to not understand that in the situation being asked you do not punish the reporter, they are not abusing the report bot.

Offline Ἀΐδης

• Retired Staff Member
  • Forum Master
  • What is it you truly seek to obtain?
    • View backpack
    • View SteamRep
    • View Steam Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 07:27:14 PM »
Please word your posts in a constructive manner. This is starting to turn into an argument. Let us not fall to our emotions.

Now panda in terms of a report please understand that no action is allowed to be taken against someone unless they are spamming the bot or misusing it. In that case they are stopped from using the bot entirely.

Hades